Reflux Laryngitis

Are post-nasal drip and stomach ache symptoms of an allergy?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a sore throat on and off, for the past few weeks. It is not severe, but more of an annoyance with some referred ear pain. This week, I had a family member, who is a nurse, look at my throat to see if it was red or irritated. She noted I had quite a bit of post-nasal drip, but...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be having some mild inflammation of the sinuses and nasal cavities. The same instead of causing headache or nose block is causing post-nasal drip which occasionally flares up as a sore throat. Let me suggest some medicines that I would do in my practice...  Read Full »

What causes the feeling of food getting stuck in the tonsils?

Query: Hello doctor, More than two months ago, I started getting this constant feeling of food being stuck in the top back of my left tonsil. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything suspicious in my throat. Since I get tonsil stones often (even though I do not feel them), I thought it was the sam...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there such a feeling when you do not swallow anything? Is there any pain or fever or soreness? Is any mucus dripping from the back of the nose to throat? Any nose block or nasal discharge? Any problem of sinusitis? How is your diet? Do you smoke or drink? Ha...  Read Full »

Why does my Adam's apple hurt on touch?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male with a history of some tonsil problem. About seven years ago, I had both a peritonsillar abscess and mononucleosis around the same time. After that, I began seeing an ENT for some fatigue and for lymph nodes on my neck that were both large and painless. After a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please send me pictures of your throat and of the prescription of the surgery done before? I feel you have recurrent follicular tonsillitis, and you got peritonsillar abscess for the same reason. Chronic throat infection also causes lymph node enlargement, which ...  Read Full »

What is the gurgling in my throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I am getting anxious about my health. I just wish you to look at a photo I have attached. It is a photo I got from the internet, which looks very similar to me. I have no other symptoms. I have always had the slight red marks, but have never noticed them. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Those represent the cobblestone appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall and it is in early stage. There is nothing to worry. Such appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall is usually seen in chronic allergic pharyngitis. It may also be seen in asymptomatic people and c...  Read Full »

I Feel Like Something Is Stuck In My Throat. What Could Be The Reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had sores on the back of my tongue for weeks now. I have a pain in both ears that comes and goes. I also occasionally have a feeling of something in my throat that will not clear by swallowing. What could possibly be going on and who should I see for this?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A chronic throat irritation with an enlargement of lingual tonsils that feel like sores in the back of your tongue, foreign body sensation in the lower part of the throat and recurrent ear pain are usually symptoms of reflux laryngopharyngitis, which is a type of aci...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see inflamed and enlarged tonsils with a congested posterior pharyngeal wall (back of the throat). A post-nasal drip running for a couple of months suggests some sinonasal inflammation as...  Read Full »

I have a constant sore throat with lymph nodes enlargement. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, About two months ago, I developed a sore throat. It was mainly on the right side. I went to urgent care, and they did a quick strep test, which came back as positive. I also had a little bit of a stuffy nose, and mainly the right ear felt full or plugged. I went home with antibiotics, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you suggest that you are suffering from a recurrent acute rhinopharyngitis. You may call it a recurrent acute upper respiratory tract infection. The initial infection has not healed completely, and it gets flared up frequently. Moreover, the ...  Read Full »

I have a tiny swelling beside the uvula. Should I worry?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I had two specialists check me for throat discomfort. Both suggested antihistamines and proton pump blockers. I also had a wisdom tooth surgery the same week and now my inflammation has subsided after antibiotics and NSAID with serratiopeptidase. I had been anxious and wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The swelling what you are looking at is just a tiny bit of lymphoid tissue probably part of the tonsils which are present on both sides of the throat. Usually, the possible causes for such a lymphoid tissue enlargement are an infection and sometimes reflux laryngophary...  Read Full »

I have GERD and feel a lump under Adam's apple. Is it serious?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I have GERD since a few years as the doctor told me after a diagnosis where he took the camera inside the food pipe. Anyway, I used to smoke then I quit but recently I smoked a bit when I was in holiday, after coming back from holidays I am getting a lump like feeling ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lump feeling is most probably due to reflux laryngitis. It is a manifestation of GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) higher up near the larynx (Adam's apple and voice box). Smoking aggravates the same or can be a trigger for it. The reflux symptoms may also be v...  Read Full »

How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gastroesophageal reflux disease typically presents with heartburn and regurgitation. Extraesophageal symptoms include a sore throat, hoarse voice, feeling of food stuck in the throat, chest pain etc. Upon examination of the throat, the finding of swollen vocal cords...  Read Full »