Q. I have a tingling sensation in the throat for the last two days. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat with a tingling sensation for the past two days. I have phlegm in the morning after getting up. I have this issue for a year. I have not traveled anywhere other than on shopping trips. I have a bad habit of occasional mucophagy. I do not have a fever, running nose, and cough. What is the cause?

#

I understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from the feeling of something stuck in your throat with a tingling sensation. This occurs due to irritation of the mucus membrane of the throat, esophagus, or trachea. You can also have a symptom of extra mucus present in the throat or you can have something stuck in the throat due to an outside irritant like smoking. It results in some medical conditions. Pharyngitis occurs due to inflammation of the larynx caused by a virus or bacteria like group A streptococcus. Laryngitis is caused due to raising voice for a long time in a loud place or it occurs due to viral or bacterial infection and a tingling sensation in the throat is a sign of it.

Your stuck symptoms and tingling sensation in the throat can also occur due to allergic rhinitis, food allergies, pollen, and pet dander. You can also have symptoms such as postnasal drip, pain or pressure in the face, chronic cough with or without nasal congestion due to sinusitis. If you have acid reflux or GERD, the acid present in the stomach can creep back up to the esophagus causing stuck symptoms with a tingling sensation in the throat. This can also occur when your opening between the stomach and esophagus does not close tightly.

Treatment depends on the cause. We need to find the underlying cause responsible for your suffering and then treat them accordingly. You need to do CBC (complete blood count), CXR (chest X-ray), X-ray of PNS (paranasal sinus), barium swallow test, and HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest. For now, you can take Fexofenadine, syrup Gaviscon, capsule Lansoprazole with or without antibiotics.

|