Q. Kindly suggest a medicine for my granny's throat pain.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

My grandmother, who is 70 years old, is suffering from severe throat pain. She had cold, cough and fever before two days. We consulted a doctor and had medicine. Then, she was fine for a day without any fever. From yesterday afternoon, she started complaining of throat pain. She could not even swallow her own saliva. So, she is not willing to take proper food. As my granny is old enough, I am so worried about her health. She is not willing to come to hospital. I request you to suggest a medicine for her. She also has yellowish eye discharge from yesterday. Today morning, she could not open her eyes when she got up from sleep. I just wetted her eyes with warm water. She is a hypothyroid patient for more than 30 years and on Eltroxin 100 mcg.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First and foremost, I like to inform you that your grandmother is having some form of infection and most probably upper respiratory tract infection.
  • This needs to be diagnosed properly after examining her. She may not be agreeing to visit hospital, but it is highly recommended to see a doctor in person.
  • Having said this, I often prescribe Azithromycin for upper respiratory tract infection along with antipyretic medication such as Paracetamol to cover the fever.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

|