Q. What is the risk of thyroid cancer from the USG report?

Dr. Swaraj Waddankeri
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My mom is 62 years old diabetic patient. The following details are her thyroid gland ultrasonography report. Thyroid gland is in the normal position. The size of the thyroid gland is increased and extends to the substernal area. In the right lobe of the thyroid gland, there is a cystic degeneration area of 32 x 26 mm and there is a heterogeneous hypoechoic solid nodule containing calcifications. Also, there is a 6 mm diameter solid hyperechoic nodule. In the left lobe of the thyroid gland, there is a 5 x 10 mm hypoechoic solid nodule. Both of the thyroid gland parenchyma structure is in homogenous appearance. Neck soft tissue is in normal view. No detection of pathologic lymph node. The main vascular structures are in normal view. The results are substernal goiter and thyroid nodules identified. The thyroid test revealed TSH 0. 607 mIU/L, normal 0.27 - 4.2 mIU/L; FT4 1. 64 ng/dL, normal 0.9 - 1.7 and FT3 3.72 pg/mL, normal 2 - 4.4 pg/mL. Based on the above, what is the risk of thyroid cancer?

#

• The risk of cancer cannot be told exactly.
  • Although the hypoechoic nodule, age and calcification are kind of in favor of malignancy.
  • Ultrasonography of thyroid is not a sure test to diagnose malignancy.
  • It is a simple procedure and can be done as an opd procedure (outpatient department). I would advice not to prejudge the condition and panic.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|