Q. What is the risk of thyroid cancer from the USG report?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My mom is 62 years old diabetic patient. The following details are her thyroid gland ultrasonography report. Thyroid gland is in the normal position. The size of the thyroid gland is increased and extends to the substernal area. In the right lobe of the thyroid gland, there is a cystic degeneration area of 32 x 26 mm and there is a heterogeneous hypoechoic solid nodule containing calcifications. Also, there is a 6 mm diameter solid hyperechoic nodule. In the left lobe of the thyroid gland, there is a 5 x 10 mm hypoechoic solid nodule. Both of the thyroid gland parenchyma structure is in homogenous appearance. Neck soft tissue is in normal view. No detection of pathologic lymph node. The main vascular structures are in normal view. The results are substernal goiter and thyroid nodules identified. The thyroid test revealed TSH 0. 607 mIU/L, normal 0.27 - 4.2 mIU/L; FT4 1. 64 ng/dL, normal 0.9 - 1.7 and FT3 3.72 pg/mL, normal 2 - 4.4 pg/mL. Based on the above, what is the risk of thyroid cancer?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• The risk of cancer cannot be told exactly.
  • Although the hypoechoic nodule, age and calcification are kind of in favor of malignancy.
  • Ultrasonography of thyroid is not a sure test to diagnose malignancy.
  • It is a simple procedure and can be done as an opd procedure (outpatient department). I would advice not to prejudge the condition and panic.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »

What is the small painless lump in the breast?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a small lump in the breast. I have no pain or any other type of side effects also. But, as per the doctor's advise, I have gone for FNAC test. Please explain what is the problem.  Read Full »

My sister got her periods in 15 days. Could it be due to her thyroiditis?

Query: Hello doctor, This question is regarding my sister. She is 33 years old. She is a mother of 6 year old twins. Two months ago, she was diagnosed with thyroiditis. From the last month, she gets her periods, once every 15 days. Kindly tell me the probable reason and the course of action to be taken.  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now