Q. Is there a chance of me having an autoimmune disease with low TSH and positive antinuclear antibody test?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I checked my thyroid panel and got a very low TSH of 0.01 mlU/L and normal T3 and T4.

I also did the arthritis panel, and my antinuclear antibody test came positive. I do not have hyperactive thyroid symptoms, except for low energy and muscle tightness. I take tablet Cyclobenzaprine 5 mg for muscle stiffness. I am overweight and did not lose any weight. I do not feel my thyroid is enlarged. What is the chance I have an autoimmune disease?

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

I would like to see the remaining tests you must have done along with these tests.

Your thyroid status looks like subclinical hyperthyroidism.

An associated antinuclear antibody positive autoimmune rheumatic disease could be possible.

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I have attached my lab reports.

I also have a question. May I be iron deficient, as I am in perimenopause and have had heavy periods?

I think the high blood MCV, MCHand RWD may indicate latent anemia. However, I do not feel thyroid symptoms to such a degree, so I thought it might be some nutritional deficiency.

#

I suspect that you might have an autoimmune condition such as systemic lupus erythematosus, which could temporarily affect your thyroid gland.

I suggest you consult a rheumatologist to detect this condition, although it is unusual to present at this age.

Please answer these questions.

1. Do you have any skin rash anywhere?
  2. Do you have any skin sensitivity to sun exposure?
  3. Do you have any joint pain?
  4. Are there any mouth sores?
  5. Do you suffer from any long-standing medical conditions?
  6. Are you on any treatment or over-the-counter medications?
  7. Do you have any history of miscarriages?
  8. Do you have any family history to note?

Reply with the answers.

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

1. I do not experience any of the symptoms. However, I experience muscle pain at times.
  2. The only over-the-counter medication I take currently is Advil. I took tablet Cyclobenzaprine two months back.
  3. I do not have any family history.

I read that positive antinuclear antibody in 1:40 concentration is often present in healthy people.

Do you think I can take an iron supplement and then do a lab test in some time to check again?

#

I suggest you consult a rheumatologist at some stage.

Thank you and take care.

|