Q. Can a thyroid patient eat soybean and fenugreek?

Dr. Prathap
Published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am a 23 year old unmarried female. I am suffering from thyroid disorder since three years. I am unable to gain weight. My weight is 42 since seven years. My TSH level is always normal, either 3 or 2 or 4. When I visited my doctor, he said the thyroid function is fine and no need to worry about weight. I am taking Thyronorm dose of 75 mg one day and 50 mg the other day. I am not feeling hungry. Please let me know whether my low weight is due to thyroid or not. What food should I take to gain weight? Can thyroid patient have soybean and fenugreek?

Dr. Prathap

#

• Patients with hypothyroidism usually gain weight. Your issue is weight loss which is seen in hyperthyroidism. As your thyroid TSH is in the normal range,  you can continue the same treatment.
  • For gaining weight, you need to take food which is adequate that is, it should be rich in calorie and protein like eggs and green vegetables.
  • Kindly manage to take appropriate calories for your age and then have some physical activity, so that it will increase your weight.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Suffering from subclinical hyperthyroidism with anxiety and palpitations.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my 15 year old daughter. Her symptoms have developed most significantly over the past few months, and include depression, weakness, constant light-headedness, shortness of breath (even when sitting still), difficulty taking a deep breath (ca...  Read Full »

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full »

Is there any diet plan to reduce fat in the stomach area?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding fat accumulation at major fats at stomach area. Is there any method so that it could be reduced since my marriage is fixed in 15 days. Is there any diet plan?  Read Full »