Q. Can a thyroid patient eat soybean and fenugreek?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am a 23 year old unmarried female. I am suffering from thyroid disorder since three years. I am unable to gain weight. My weight is 42 since seven years. My TSH level is always normal, either 3 or 2 or 4. When I visited my doctor, he said the thyroid function is fine and no need to worry about weight. I am taking Thyronorm dose of 75 mg one day and 50 mg the other day. I am not feeling hungry. Please let me know whether my low weight is due to thyroid or not. What food should I take to gain weight? Can thyroid patient have soybean and fenugreek?

Dr. Prathap

#

• Patients with hypothyroidism usually gain weight. Your issue is weight loss which is seen in hyperthyroidism. As your thyroid TSH is in the normal range,  you can continue the same treatment.
  • For gaining weight, you need to take food which is adequate that is, it should be rich in calorie and protein like eggs and green vegetables.
  • Kindly manage to take appropriate calories for your age and then have some physical activity, so that it will increase your weight.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|