Q. My wife's blood test indicates increased thyroid and eosinophils. Please help.

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

• Recently my wife had a blood test.
  • We found in the report that her thyroid and eosinophils increased.
  • Recently she was sick because of throat infection.
  • She always has throat infection and fever and due to that she gets sick every time.
  • Even after she was out from fever, sometimes she feels high temperature.
  • I have uploaded two reports of hers.
  • Please suggest what to do for thyroid and increased eosinophil count.
  • If you find anything unstable in the report, kindly help in analysing the report and suggest treatment.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Her eosinophil count is high, also Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) is high.

Her cholesterol levels are fine (though they are highlighted in the report).

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is slightly elevated.

Elevated eosinophil count could be either due to allergy (most likely cause in her case) or it could be due to parasite infestation. I recommend her to take tablet Wysolone (Prednisolone) 5mg once a day after breakfast for 10 days and repeat Eosinophil count.

Her raised Mean Corpuscular Volume indicates vitamin B12 deficiency. Kindly get serum vitamin B12 test done and revert back.

Elevated TSH level indicates subclinical hypothyroidism which does not require any medications as of now, but repeat TSH after 6 weeks.

Hope this information helps you.

Revert back with the reports to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Is her thyroid level higher than normal? Should I check her thyroid test again and what medication can be given for thyroid to make it normal?

#

Yes, her thyroid level is high (TSH is high).

There are medicines to bring it to normal levels but, there is no need of that now.

Because, once medicines are started she may have to take it for years.

So, right now no need to take any medication for thyroid.

Repeat the thyroid test after 6 weeks.

Revert back to an endocrinologist online with the reports (serum vitamin B12 and thyroid) --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|