Q. My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipation. Would a synthetic T4 and T3 be better for me such as Tirosint and Cytomel?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism.

• However, you have missed mentioning the thyroid function test results in detail, so as to enable me to suggest an appropriate drug for you.

Hope you revert with your thyroid function test results. Good luck.

Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

The last labs I had taken were as follows: T4 free 0.71 ng/dl, TSH 0.142 u(IU)/ml, Estradiol <5 pg/mL, FSH 128.7 mIU/mL, Iron 59 ug/dL, Vitamin B12 59 ug/dL, Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy 23.9 ng/mL, Progesterone <0.06 ng/mL, Testosterone Free 1.7 pg/mL, Testosterone Total 20 ng/dL, DHEA sulfate 24 ug/dL, T3 free 2.9 pg/mL. I was fasting at the time and had not taken any medications. I was taking bioidentical hormones as well, but have discontinued them because I was feeling worse on those.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read each one of your test results and from what it reads, it appears that you are slightly over corrected for hypothyroidism.

• Yes, you must take tablet Levothyroxine (Tirosint) 25 mcg once a day every morning on an empty stomach and you must eat only an hour later.
  • You need not take any other medicine along with Levothyroxine.
  • Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks and get back.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

Revert after six weeks to an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

I am 9 months pregnant, and my total T3 is 208.57. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 9 months pregnant, and I have some doubts with my recent free T3, T4, and TSH levels. My Triiodothyronine total (T3) is 208.57. What is it? Is it something to worry or is it normal? My TSH is under control, and it is 2.63 now.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your pregnancy and your thyroid function test results. It appears that you have hyperthyroidism, but you are rightly treated for it since your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal. The slightly high T3 is not to be worried about, as ...  Read Full

Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you are off nature thyroid. Its responses are unpredictable and reactions are common. Levothyroxine is the best and the safest. It is good that you are back on Levothyroxine. I think you should just continue 88 mcg of Levothyroxine daily in the empty stoma...  Read Full

Can a double dose of Levothyroxine help until I get to see a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my lab results recently. I have an appointment with the thyroid doctor in a week. I am afraid of going to the ER plus I have muscle spasms, body jerks, and confusion. Two days ago, I took a double levothyroxine dose of 125 mcg. Yesterday, I added 5 mcg synthetic T3, ma...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I suggest that you take tablet Levothyroxine 50 mcg once daily keeping in mind your age and based on your weight and lab results. Consult your specialist doct...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now