Q. My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipation. Would a synthetic T4 and T3 be better for me such as Tirosint and Cytomel?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism.

• However, you have missed mentioning the thyroid function test results in detail, so as to enable me to suggest an appropriate drug for you.

Hope you revert with your thyroid function test results. Good luck.

Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

The last labs I had taken were as follows: T4 free 0.71 ng/dl, TSH 0.142 u(IU)/ml, Estradiol <5 pg/mL, FSH 128.7 mIU/mL, Iron 59 ug/dL, Vitamin B12 59 ug/dL, Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy 23.9 ng/mL, Progesterone <0.06 ng/mL, Testosterone Free 1.7 pg/mL, Testosterone Total 20 ng/dL, DHEA sulfate 24 ug/dL, T3 free 2.9 pg/mL. I was fasting at the time and had not taken any medications. I was taking bioidentical hormones as well, but have discontinued them because I was feeling worse on those.

#

I just read each one of your test results and from what it reads, it appears that you are slightly over corrected for hypothyroidism.

• Yes, you must take tablet Levothyroxine (Tirosint) 25 mcg once a day every morning on an empty stomach and you must eat only an hour later.
  • You need not take any other medicine along with Levothyroxine.
  • Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks and get back.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

Revert after six weeks to an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|