Q. I have a tingling sensation in my hands and feet. Can it be due to anxiety?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Sep 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I am a 26 year old female. At the beginning of this year, I had a bad cold, and two weeks later, I had a tingling in the wrists, feet, and legs, which the doctor said was reactive arthritis which lasted a few weeks. Then, the first time my left hand felt weak was five months back. It felt weak, more so at rest but, when I had to grip things, I was able to. I went to a physio and had a neck massage as my back was also tense and the next day, the weakness was gone. So, the massage helped it. Now, more recently, I had foot weakness on the left side and a weakness and very mild tingling in hand. Again, my back is very tense and tight from gym and work position. As soon as I get this, I get very anxious, and I feel the tingling gets worse.

The only difference in daily activities is lifting weights at the gym, weighted squats, and heavier arm exercises. I used the foam roller on my foot last night, and today the foot weakness was gone. The foot weakness lasted 12 hours on and off. There are no problems walking or anything like that. It just felt weaker but, it was not. The weakness always comes randomly but, I do seem to always have a tight back when the weakness occurs as well. Could this be MS? Does it sound like it? I am extremely worried now. I have never been diagnosed with it. I have just read about it online. What could this be from? I went to the opticians last week, and my eyes were fine. There were no eye symptoms. It was just a standard check-up. My eyes were said to be perfect. I do not have any bladder or bowel symptoms and no other weakness anywhere else.

#

• You have remitting symptoms, which have not hampered your activities. Also, these symptoms are not objective but, only subjective. This can be related to your stress. Try doing meditation.
  • Do not worry at all. These symptoms will disappear. But, if you get any objective evidence of weakness, please consult a neurologist.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

But, can this be MS?

#

• The symptoms do not look like multiple sclerosis. So do not worry at all. If you do not have any objective evidence of weakness, you do not have to worry. They can be a manifestation of your stress.
  • My suggestion would be to get an MRI of the brain and spine done to rule out the possibility of a neurological illness so that you will be relieved of your anxiety.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Could this just be related to my tense back? So, are you saying that only if I have an actual weakness like not being able to walk, etc., I should be concerned? Could it be peripheral neuropathy?

#

• It does not look like a neuropathy at all since you said it gets worse when you are anxious, relieved with a back massage and with periods of complete improvement in between.
  • It does not look like it is related to your tense back as well. It never causes such symptoms.
  • Yes, if you have persistent symptoms that do not get relieved on their own and are associated with weakness or any such objective signs you should consult a neurologist. Otherwise, I think it should go away on its own.
  • Do you have any stressors?

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akanksha Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms, it seems like fibromyalgia with anxiety. Whenever we are anxious, our autonomic nervous system plays a role, and hence increases the blood flow to various organs by pumping more blood at higher rates, and thus heartbeats can be felt by us. Also,...  Read Full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article