Q. Can sound from a loudspeaker cause any effect on my eardrum?

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I went to a chant few days back. There the loudspeaker was very loud. The very next day I noticed that there is ringing in my left ear. Now, it has been four days, but it has not gone. Can you help me? I am very scared. Has it caused any effect on my eardrum? Please see to it. Thank you.

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

From your history of noise exposure and symptoms, it is suggestive of acoustic trauma.

It occurs after a single exposure to very intense sound which cause damage to the organ of corti or damage the hair cells. Symptoms include ringing sensation in ear known as tinnitus and hearing loss. Treatment depends on severity of symptoms. If only tinnitus is present, protect the ear from further damage and also take some neuroprotective drugs. But, first you need to do a pure tone audiometry (PTA) to assess the severity.

1. PTA.
2. Tympanometry.

Acoustic trauma.

1. Capsule Zincosule-4G (Multivitamin) once daily.
2. Tablet Defcort (Deflazacort) 12 mg once daily
for seven days.

Avoid loud sounds.

| 

I do not have hearing loss. Only some slight buzzing sound.

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is a good sign that you are not suffering from hearing loss. Take the medication for seven days and if no improvement then do a PTA and revert back with report.

| 

Why do I have clicking and high-pitched whine after I was subjected to loud noise?

Query: Hello doctor, I was subjected to a loud noise in my left ear. Since then, I have had a high pitch whine and my ear clicks. It seems as if I can contract a muscle in my ear and force it to click and then sometimes it seems to happen on its own. It happens more often than not, with brief episodes whe...  Read Full »

What can cause very sore joints and muscles?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been sick for the last two years with the following symptoms. Fatigue, ringing in ears, very sore joints, sore muscles, follicular carcinoma, passing out, and extreme headaches. I am taking Synthroid currently. I just had a flow cytometry and numerous bouts of blood work. I have a...  Read Full »

I feel lethargic and sleepy after lunch. Will taking multivitamins help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old software professional. I have a lot of work pressure and also loads of stress and tension in my personal life. I sleep around seven to eight hours a day and stick to a very healthy and disciplined lifestyle with respect to timely food habits and taking a balanced die...  Read Full »