Q. How to cure tinnitus due to Aspirin in a hypertensive patient?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a BP patient. So, my doctor is giving Aspirin 75 mg from the past four months. But, due to the side effect of this, a tinnitus problem is there in the right ear. So, what can I do to cure this problem?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your hearing test seems to be normal majorly (in normal frequency). But, you have sensorineural hearing loss at a high frequency that is due to nerve weakness and hence, you are having tinnitus as well (most likely).

To rule out any middle ear pathology I would advise you to get tympanometry done as well to tell us if middle ear pressure and ventilation is normal or not.

Are you taking Aspirin only for blood pressure or do you have any cardiac problem or other comorbidities? What other medications are you on?

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Till now the doctor is giving Aspirin to control the cholesterol.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Aspirin is a blood thinner and painkiller. It is not to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol per se.

It can be given to patients who have both high blood pressure and cholesterol to avoid cardiac complications.

You stop Aspirin for now. Meet physician for tinnitus. Get tympanometry done.

I suggest you take tablet Absolut 3G (omega-3 fatty acid, green tea extract, Ginkgo biloba, Ginseng, grape seed extract, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements) once daily in the afternoon for 30 days and tablet Alprax 0.5 mg (Alprazolam) once in the night for 10 days.

These drugs will help in reducing tinnitus. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with her or her and take medications with their consent.

|