Q. I am having tinnitus after hearing a loud noise. Please help.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Mar 07, 2019

Recently, I had an event that impacted my hearing. I threw a heavy chain into the metal bucket of a backhoe. The clank was quite loud and gave me instant ringing in my ears. I then had to use the backhoe, which is also loud, but not deafeningly so, for about 20 minutes. Now my ears feel blocked up as if from a cold or elevation changes, reducing the volume of the sounds I hear. Even tiny clanks, like from a fork on a plate, give my ears a slight spasm. The tinnitus has continued, diminishingly for about five days or so.

My question is about the permanence of damage done, and the relationship between my current symptoms and damage. I should mention that I am quite sensitive to sound and can get tinnitus from noises other people find tolerable. The ear blockage phenomenon occurred one other time for me, after a music show, and lasted several months before returning to normal.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

It is very common that people feel certain blockage of the ears after getting exposed to loud sounds. It is called fatigue to ear. The hair cells get fatigued due to loud sounds. It also indicates sensitivity towards hearing loss. It is recommended to avoid a noisy situation as it can lead to hearing loss sooner in your case as you are taking days to recover.

Generally, a few hours are enough to recover. Use ear protective devices or ear-plugs in the future whenever you know that you are going to a place with loud noises. Currently, wait for a few more days. If you are not feeling better consult an audiologist. Try to blow your cheeks with your nose pinched and see if it helps to relieve the blocked feeling.

How can the ringing in my ears be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had ringing in my ears for two or three months. My doctor said it was an ear infection in both ears. I had two courses of Augmentin, but it did not¬†improve. I had to change my doctor for some reason. The new doctor gave me Soframycin ear drops but when I went back to her for fo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from tinnitus which is nothing but a ringing sensation in the ears. There are various causes for tinnitus and the most common among them are a sensorineural hearing loss, Eustachian tube dysfunction, otosclerosis, ossicular discontinuity wher...  Read Full

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

Ask an Audiologist Now