Q. I need advise regarding the treatment of recurrent toenail fungal infection.

I am having a fungal infection on my toe nail. I showed it to a doctor about a year ago and I was given medicine. It was almost cured and a little portion of my nail was yet to be cured completely. But then I stopped taking the medicines due to some reason and then slowly it has again covered my whole nail. I have lost the prescription. I want some advice regarding this.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

First of all, tell me about your age. How many days did you took the medicine, as the treatment for toe nail fungal infection is of 12 weeks? Are you a diabetic as it is a frequent cause of fungal infection?

Kindly response to these queries, only then I would be able to write a prescription for you. Also, if possible kindly send the photograph.

| 

I am 29 years old. I took the medicine for nearly two and a half months (missed sometimes) and then left it. It was taken once a week (cannot remember the name since lost the prescription). It was almost gone (about 85%) but only a small part on the top was left. As the nail was growing it seemed to be fine but it came back slowly from the top infected part. I am not a diabetic.

#

I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yours is a clear case of onychomycosis. You have taken insufficient treatment that is why you are having the relapse, that once a week tablet contains Fluconazole and its duration of treatment should be six months.

Now I suggest taking Daskil (Terbinafine) 250 mg once daily for three months. Loceryl (Amorolfine) nail lacquer, apply on the nail twice weekly. Sebifin (Terbinafine) cream, apply on the nail once daily except on the days of application of Loceryl.

Kindly take full treatment, otherwise, relapse are very common, and also review the progress each month so that I could monitor any changes which needed to be done.

|