Q. What could be the cause for dark patches on my toe nail?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2020

Brown patch or dark spot in the toenail. I noticed a brown patch or dark spot in my toenail. This is the only toe that is having this issue. I have not had any itching yet on this foot (maybe a little on the other foot, but no dark spots).

I would like to know,

a) The cause of this and,

b) Treatment options.

#

How long it has been there?

I noticed it only a few days ago. Probably has been around a little longer even before I see, but not more than two weeks.

#

It could be the initial phase of onychomycosis or hematoma as a result of trauma and rarely melanoma. Kindly go for KOH examination of nail scrapping to confirm the diagnosis of onychomycosis. Itraconazole therapy is there for onychomycosis, wait and watch in case of hematoma and wide excision in case of melanoma. I hope it helps. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

|