Q. What could be the cause for dark patches on my toe nail?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

Brown patch or dark spot in the toenail. I noticed a brown patch or dark spot in my toenail. This is the only toe that is having this issue. I have not had any itching yet on this foot (maybe a little on the other foot, but no dark spots).

I would like to know,

a) The cause of this and,

b) Treatment options.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

How long it has been there?

| 

I noticed it only a few days ago. Probably has been around a little longer even before I see, but not more than two weeks.

#

It could be the initial phase of onychomycosis or hematoma as a result of trauma and rarely melanoma. Kindly go for KOH examination of nail scrapping to confirm the diagnosis of onychomycosis. Itraconazole therapy is there for onychomycosis, wait and watch in case of hematoma and wide excision in case of melanoma. I hope it helps. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

| 

What is the treatment for hematoma?

Query: Hi doctor,Before five months, I had surgery for thigh hematoma. Now, the same problem started again. It is increasing in size and painful. Also, there is swelling. Please see the photo attached here.  Read Full »

Why do I have dark spots all over my body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female with three kids. When I was in my teenage, I developed red bumps which later on turn into acne. Most of the time I scratch them as they are very itchy and same with insect bites. I have a lot of dark spots now all over my face, buttock, back of my thighs and uppe...  Read Full »