Q. What could be the reason for my sudden feeling of tongue numbness?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

For about a week, the right end of my tongue has been feeling just like a little numb and swelling. It would come and go a little bit throughout the day. It does not hurt, but it is just annoying. Sometimes, I will rub the end of my tongue on my teeth, and I did not know if that would cause it to feel like there is something inside my tongue. When I press down on it, it goes away and does not come back for a while. I did get a tooth filled a couple of weeks ago. I was also an occasional dipper, but this just started last week. I have not had any ulcers. Any of your suggestion will be appreciated.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• You have mentioned that you are experiencing this kind of tongue numbness only for a week and also had a filling done recently. So, my question to you is, did you get any injections in the mouth during your dental visit?
  • If yes, then it is a side effect of the local anesthetic injection. It will revert in a few days automatically.
  • If no, then it could be any of the following. Iron or vitamin B12 deficiency, medicine allergies, a thermal burn of the tongue or dehydration from the least to any viral infections to the maximum.
  • I also saw the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I noted teeth marks on your back side of the tongue. Considering your age, I suspect that the whole condition could be the reason of stress along with vitamin or iron deficiencies.
  • I kindly advise you to take a total blood count along with hemoglobin test to check if you got iron or vitamin deficiencies and also to rule out any viral infections. Once the cause is identified, then it can be managed accordingly. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|