Q. I have a mild sore throat with enlarged tonsils. Could this be tonsillitis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I have a mild sore throat for the past three to four days, and one of my tonsils is enlarged with white formations on it. I tested negative for strep throat today, and I am unsure if it is tonsillitis or tonsil cancer.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are suffering an acute attack of tonsillitis. The congestion is seen. One of the tonsils is indeed slightly larger than the other. Once the infection resolves, both will probably become similar sized.

Now though you have tested negative for strep, you need a course of antibiotics. The best in the given circumstances would be Z-pack. Take a full course of it supplemented by Tylenol, warm saline gargles, and Sudafed or Allegra (Fexofenadine).

Avoid spicy oily foods, drinks, and smokes. Drink plenty of warm fluids and keep yourself hydrated. Avoid exposure to cold, dry winds.

I will relay the information to my doctor in an attempt to start antibiotics.

#

Yes, without the antibiotics, the illness may take a long time to resolve. Could it lead to complications like an ear or lung infection?

|