Q. Is it advisable to take CoAmoxiclav for 14 days to cure tonsillitis?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Last week the doctor told I had adenoiditis and sub-acute tonsillitis (did not have any symptoms except a smell of catarrh and bending down felt weird). I had suffered from adenovirus and viral conjunctivitis a couple of weeks before the diagnosis. ENT thought it was viral turned bacterial although tonsillitis had no signs of being bacterial. Only thing I had was yellow phlegm in the morning. Was prescribed 14 days of CoAmoxiclav 625 mg TD.

The question is do I really have to take them for 14 days? I feel fine. I know they say take the full dose. But could not 10 days be sufficient? I do not know what clinical trials or research have shown but advice from a professional doctor who has knowledge of this would be appreciated.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

The yellow phlegm itself shows your suffering from a secondary bacterial infection. If sputum is there then it may be originating from lower respiratory or sinuses. So that is why your doctor has adviced two weeks course of antibiotics. So please continue above medications. If no improvement, get it done- a chest X-ray and X-ray PNS, then we come to know where the source of infection is. Take care.

| 

Kindly suggest granular pharyngitis treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with granular pharyngitis and tonsillitis, but I do not have any post-nasal drip or cold. I have pain while swallowing certain oily and spicy food. What should be the treatment? In the last three months, I have got tonsil infection a couple of times.  Read Full »

What does gargling do?

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full »

Is Cefpodoxime safe for a person who had liver injury with Amoxicillin-Clavulanate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a painful sore throat and tonsillitis for two weeks. I am allergic to Penicillin and earlier had Amoxicillin-Clavulanate antibiotic-induced elevated SGOT and SGPT of the liver. With treatment, I fully recovered. Now, this time, the doctor prescribed Cefpodoxime ins...  Read Full »