Q. While trying to remove tonsil stones there was bleeding. What can I do?

Answered by Dr. Shyam Kalyan N and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tonsillitis or Chlorhexidine Mouthwash? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: While trying to remove tonsil stones there was bleeding.  What can I do?

I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything, I got the Waterpik out (soft rubber tip) and simply moved it gently around what appears to be the cluster of little tonsil stones.

As I made that initial gentle move with the waterpik, I felt a little pump feeling as if the waterpik ran into a tonsil stone or something. I tried to see what was going on and continued. However, something started to bleed and continued to the point that I could not remove anything else. The next day, I went in to examine and it looked like the little cluster of tonsil stones were now visible.

However, they seemed to be attached to the skin. This worried me because now I thought that the skin had started to grow around the little stones. The area around the stones is also deep/bluish red and hurts.

I have gargled with mouthwash and salt water to help kill any germs. I have kept checking it and the "little cluster of tonsil stones" seems to act more like pus and less like tonsil stones. The rest of the tonsil feels fine as well as the other tonsil. They felt fine before the incident detailed above.