Q. Can I have pineapple to cure acid reflux?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have acid reflux problem. To the maximum it will cause problems like twice in six months. Shall I eat pineapple for the acid reflux issue? What if I eat pineapple daily or alternate basis and manipulate my liver to produce less acid for the future? Also, due to this habit, I can get rid of antacids or other medication. I am also getting nervous and dizzy while traveling due to excess acidity and that cause motion sickness.

#

Acid reflux, also known as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), is a condition related mostly to the esophageal sphincter incompetence.

Low to moderate grades of GERD are treated first with antacid drugs, which is the best and the first non-invasive solution. Severe cases require surgery to reinforce the sphincter.

As for the pineapple, there are controversial opinions among doctors. Some of them do not recommend it because it is a highly acidic fruit and can worsen the symptoms. While others recommend it as it may have good effects due to Bromelain.

You can try it for a week and see how your heartburn goes through. If you decide to avoid drugs and use foods, then I would recommend you high calcium foods and basic ones such as milk, which buffer the acids.

Also, you have to eat in small portions several times, avoid spicy, fatty and acidic foods and also avoid late evening meals. Use antacids if these measures fail.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|