Q. I have tooth pain and a white lump on my upper gum. What could it be?

Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Apr 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I recently started having tooth pain and it has not gone away. I do have a white lump on my upper gum but I have had it for a while. Sometimes, it goes away and then comes back. My tooth pain almost feels like a cavity but I am not sure.

#

It seems your tooth is having a chronic abscess due to infection reaching the pulp and beyond the roots of the tooth and the white swelling is an abscess. I suggest you consult your dentist who will take an X-ray of the tooth and will confirm the diagnosis and explain the treatment and prescribe the medication. Mostly, if the case is of abscess and if there is enough tooth structure, you will have to go for a root canal treatment followed by a crown. So, do not worry. Another possibility can be a gingival abscess, but in this, pain on chewing is rare.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

All About Gum Abscess

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »