Q. Tooth abscess has not gone away even after taking medicines. Kindly advise.

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I went to my dentist a few days back with the discovery of an abscess which was connected to a broken tooth. It then spread to my cheek and got swollen. I am on Amoxicillin and Flagyl for five days. Today is my last day. Unfortunately, the swelling has not entirely decreased, I am still left with a small hard sack of presumable pus. How can this be removed or will it go away naturally in a few days?

#

I had gone through your question and I can understand your concern. It looks like the infection is over if there is no pus and pain anymore. The swelling if hard remains there is called antibioma and it may take some time to get fully over and will not need any further antibiotic medication. In case the swelling is tender on touch, there is a pain still, you may need medication for two more days.

|