Q. Tooth abscess has not gone away even after taking medicines. Kindly advise.

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Apr 07, 2019

I went to my dentist a few days back with the discovery of an abscess which was connected to a broken tooth. It then spread to my cheek and got swollen. I am on Amoxicillin and Flagyl for five days. Today is my last day. Unfortunately, the swelling has not entirely decreased, I am still left with a small hard sack of presumable pus. How can this be removed or will it go away naturally in a few days?

#

I had gone through your question and I can understand your concern. It looks like the infection is over if there is no pus and pain anymore. The swelling if hard remains there is called antibioma and it may take some time to get fully over and will not need any further antibiotic medication. In case the swelling is tender on touch, there is a pain still, you may need medication for two more days.

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth. The pus drains and again comes. We have given antibiotics but the problem again comes. What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy?  Read Full »

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full »