Q. When will liver abscess get cured with Metronidazole?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?

#

You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the colon is required as 10 % experience recurrence after treatment. Metronidazole 800 mg thrice per day for 10 days is sufficient in most cases. Improvement is expected after three days of treatment. Please send me the ultrasound report in order to be reviewed.

| 

My abdominal pain did not reduce even after taking antibiotics. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover from liver abscess surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a minor surgery for liver abscess and a drain was installed. Pus in the color of chocolate and little thick is coming out. Is it normal? How much time it will take to recover? For how many days the drain has to be installed?  Read Full »

Tooth pain and a white lump on my upper gum

Query: Hello doctor,I recently started having tooth pain and it has not gone away. I do have a white lump on my upper gum but I have had it for a while. Sometimes, it goes away and then comes back. My tooth pain almost feels like a cavity but I am not sure.  Read Full »