Q. My wisdom tooth has cut into my cheek, causing pain and swelling. Please help.

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 25, 2020
Hello
I was due to have my upper left wisdom tooth taken out last Friday, but my dentist has been closed due to the Corona Virus. I had an x-ray done on my last visit and my dentist said it was a very awkward tooth to remove and not straight forward. I am in a lot of pain at the moment as my wisdom tooth is only half way through but has split into the side of my cheek. I am struggling to eat, clean my teeth, it's constantly throbbing and my face has swelled out on one side. I work in a hospital and had a telephone consultation today with a doctor who asked me questions over the phone, one being how many fingers could I fit into my mouth. I can only fit one finger in my mouth right now. My mouth tastes of blood and it bleeds lots when I try to clean it. I have been prescried anti-biotics for now, but I am very worried as after I finish the anti-biotics I don't know whether I will be able to have the tooth removed due to not being able to even open my mouth properly. Any help / advise is appreciated. Thank you.
#

Dear Patient, -I read your complete writing and I totally understand your concern, your mouth opening is really less now, I am sorry for the pain you are bearing. -The first thing you need to do urgently after reading this kindly begin warm water salt rinse 5-6 times a day.It will surely relax your mouth opening a bit. -Continue your antibiotics and stop as and when said, won't prescribe any medicine for now as you are already taking one session of antibiotics can't continue with this . Although you can give a gap of 4-5days and can again take a five day regimen. -If it still pains sometimes you can take a pain killer paracetamol or ibuprofen temporarily (as you haven't mentioned any allergies). -Do revert back for more queries. -I hope it helps. -Feel free to contact me again. -Kindly keep me posted about the improvements. -Stay safe.take care.

| 

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »

I have cold with swollen nose. Kindly suggest some remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold for more than one month. And have a swollen nose. What are the remedies to get relief?  Read Full »

I got two wisdom teeth pulled two days back and still have pain. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I got my two bottom wisdom teeth pulled two days back. I have some photos of them. I was wondering if you could tell me if everything looks fine. I am still in pain and find it hard to eat solid foods.  Read Full »