Q. Why does a toothache worsen at night?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I am suffering from tooth pain which comes and goes. I have been taking Ibuprofen, but it did not help. I have also tried icing. The pain aggravates at night.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern. The pain seems to be because of irreversible pulpitis, but you have not mentioned any associated signs like a cavity or unerupted tooth. Is there any cavity or black or brown lesion on that side of the jaw? Do you have any missing or decayed tooth that makes you chew on only one side? Is there any crowding of teeth? Does the pain make your sleep disturbed? Though it looks like pulpitis, your symptoms may be related to either malocclusion or impaction.

There is no need to visit emergency care if you provide proper history. You may need a course of antibiotics and appropriate analgesics for your age and weight.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|