Q. I have tooth pain when I eat but X-ray shows nothing. Is RCT required?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Sep 20, 2019

I have been having tooth pain for about six weeks. It is only when pressure is applied when I eat. No sensitivity to cold or hot. I went to the dentist and he took X-rays and compared them to routine X-rays taken a couple of months prior. He said the two sets were the same and saw no reason for the pain.

He tested my bite with that blue paper and thought the issue might be related to my bite. So, he filed down one of my teeth ever so slightly and thought that would do the trick. Two weeks later, the pain had not subsided, I went back and this time he performed a CT scan. He thought maybe there was a crack or something that was not picked up by the X-ray. The scan was also normal, and he could find no reason for the pain.

He said he thinks the best option at this point would be to perform a root canal. Is this the best course of action?

#

As per your history, there is no pulp cavity exposure or even if there is a crack that will not cause the pain. The reason I think is the filling, which may be high (high point).

The second reason may be a periodontal problem. I do not think RCT (root canal treatment) is the best possible cause. If you would have any sort of sensitivity, root canal could have been the option.

I think it is purely pressure-related. For that get your filling trimmed a little bit. Wait for two to three weeks, I think it will be over.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. The pain may be because of post RCT infection or because of the accessory canal in the root that becomes sometimes difficult to manage. In case it in infection you need to take antibiotics and that will he...  Read Full

After my recent filling, I am getting pain whenever I bite. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I got a new filling (white), and the dentist removed my old silver ones. Now, my tooth is sensitive, and I feel like air going up and down on the tooth. I am getting pain whenever I bite down. Why? What is wrong here?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There will be definitely some sensitivity felt after the replacement of old silver fillings to new tooth colored ones. There is a micro shrinkage that happens after the white material is placed into the old and refined cavity. This is the physics behind your sensitivity. ...  Read Full