Q. I am experiencing tiredness, weight gain and insomnia after surgical removal of both thyroids?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Nov 03, 2019

I had both my thyroid glands removed eight years ago, and a small amount was left (in the size of half of my small nail). Since then, I am getting my blood test done every year, which comes back normal. I do not understand this as everybody needs two thyroid glands to work properly, and a small amount of the gland is not enough to do the job. I suffer from tiredness, weight gain, and insomnia over these years.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

It is not the size of the thyroid gland, but it is the function that matters. In most of the thyroid gland removal, the left over gland will start hyper functioning and hence will take over the body function. So, if your blood work is normal means that a small part of the thyroid is working well. Now coming to your problem, it might be due to either calcium or vitamin D deficiency which can happen because of your thyroid removal. I advise you to get serum D3 and calcium levels tested. Revert back with reports. Weight gain could be due to physical inactivity, excess of cholesterol or even diabetes or adrenal problems.

I advise you to get

serum lipid profile.

Serum Cortisol.

FBS (fasting blood sugar), and PPBS (postprandial blood sugar).

| 

How is papillary thyroid carcinoma treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.  Read Full »

What causes weight gain, sweating, and tiredness?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I ordered thyrocare test. The test report shows total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 117 ng/dL, total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 10.9 µg/dL, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 9.04 µIU/mL, FT3 - 3.03, FT4 - 1.08 and anti-microsomal antibody (AMA) - 315. My BP is 145/90 mmHg. I have s...  Read Full »

Are weight gain and excess sweating side effects of Escitalopram?

Query: Hello doctor, Are weight gain and increased sweating typical side effects of the medication Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex)? I am asking because I gained about 6 lbs in three months and I sweat a lot but I must admit that I am a regular alcohol user. About 4 to 5 drinks on the week (evening only,...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now