Q. I have a blurry vision and feel dizzy. Can it be a demyelinating disease?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am a 24 year old, and I have Graves' disease. I had a total thyroidectomy last year. I have since been screened for other autoimmune conditions, but so far none have been found. Over the last 2 to 3 weeks, I have been noticing a gradual onset of some strange neurological symptoms. It began with a blurred vision like the static you see on old televisions. I think it is called visual snow. I have also noticed some dizziness when I blink or close my eyes, and I feel like the world is spinning. In the past few days, I have started noticing a tingling sensation in both legs and feet, and it gets worse when I walk and better when I sit down. I work as a medical scribe in an ER, and I am pre-med. I want to believe that I am just imagining things, which is common for someone just learning medicine. But with my family history of autoimmune diseases, as well as Alzheimer's, I am just too afraid that I could be ignoring something real. I am trying to schedule an appointment with a neurologist, but it is really difficult to get in to see a doctor in-person with my work schedule. I will of course still work on getting an appointment, but I guess I am just looking for reassurance in the meantime. I am currently taking Vitamin D tablets.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• Since there is total thyroidectomy, the possibility of a parathyroid disorder cannot be ruled out. Also, many of the symptoms can be observed in vitamin D deficiency. Although the possibility of vitamin D deficiency is low as you are already on vitamin D3, still I feel it should be checked.
  • Having said this, I must reassure you that none of the symptoms say anything about autoimmune disorders when you have normal values for most of the biomarkers of autoimmune diseases.
  • I also like to add here that presence of Graves' disease and family history of autoimmune disorders does not mean that you will have other autoimmune disorders. I understand that there is an increased risk, but the risk has been evaluated properly and it is time to give a rest to your thought process, which is dominated by fears of various illnesses.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for your reassurance. I have been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency, and I am already being treated for this. My levels are to be checked again next month. My main concern was for a demyelinating disease. If you do not feel my presentation is consistent with this, then I am truly relieved. Thank you again for your time.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

• I am glad to know that you are already diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency and undergoing treatment as expected.
  • Regarding demyelinating illness, I must reassure you that none of the symptoms are indicative of multiple sclerosis or similar demyelinating disorders in current form.

I hope this helps you further. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|