Q. How can the presence of toxoplasmosis be checked in pregnant woman and fetus?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

My wife is 28 years old, and her weight is 49 kg. She is on Thyronorm 75 for past one year. We did some blood tests a year back as per our gynecologist's advice in view of positive ANA two years back which came normal in the same year. According to that, her IgG for antiphospholipid was normal, and IgM was positive. Also, IgG and IgM for toxoplasmosis were positive. Our doctor started tablet Rovamycin Forte and Ecosprin 75. She took Rovamycin Forte for two months.

Eight months back we again checked for toxoplasmosis which was found negative, i.e., IgG and IgM for toxoplasmosis were negative. Hence, the doctor stopped Rovamycin but continued Ecosprin 75. Two months later, my wife became pregnant, and her LMP was at the end of the same month. Two months later, the doctor again advised for antiphospholipid and toxoplasmosis. IgG and IgM for antiphospholipid were negative, but IgG and IgM for toxoplasmosis were dramatically high. Hence, the doctor started Rovamycin Forte again. Now, we are taking Rovamycin Forte for past six months again. Please guide me on the below queries:

1. Is there any other way to check the presence of toxoplasmosis in view of dramatic results of tests found?
  2. Is it necessary to take Rovamycin? If yes, for how long it should be taken?
  3. Will Rovamycin prevent infection to the fetus?
  4. Will Rovamycin affect baby’s growth? (double marker test was done five months back and was normal).
  5. Is there any way to check the presence of infection of toxoplasmosis in the baby?
#

Yes, to rule out acute infection or re-infection there is a role of IgM avidity testing and once the toxoplasmosis IgM is negative and IgG titers are high, then IgG titer is repeated every four weeks.The rising titers are suggestive of active infection, and amniocentesis is done to detect congenital toxoplasmosis infection in placenta and baby.

If an active infection is there, then to prevent the transmission of infection to the baby, Rovamycin (Spiramycin) in a dose of 1 to 2 gm daily for three weeks and then one week off for three to four months is given. It is the infection which affects the baby's growth and not the drug itself so much. Yes, the answer to the question is amniocentesis to detect PCR (polymerase chain reaction) in the placenta and baby.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

How are listeria and toxoplasmosis diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »

What are the future side effects of toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 years old. Now, she is normal. Her mother had toxoplasmosis when baby born. After birth, doctors examined baby's blood and she has not got the germs of toxoplasmosis. Now my question is will it cause any problem in the future?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»