Q. What can be the reason for sudden transient loss of vision?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

Early this morning I lost vision in one of my eyes for about two minutes. My vision then came back gradually over a period of couple of minutes. I could not see any light at all. It was not painful and I have not experienced this before. I experienced an allergic reaction to a Progesterone cream when I applied to my face the same day. It burned my face and turned it red. Symptoms subsided after washing it off. I am traveling and cannot get in to see a doctor until I return home in two weeks. Is it fine if I wait to see a doctor? Please help.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Sudden painless transient loss of vision suspects that some vegetation got dislodged from your heart valve and blocked blood vessel supplying the eye leading to blindness and it got dislodged later with systolic heart beat leading to recovery of vision.
  • It is better to consult ophthalmologist and cardiologist both.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Coronary Artery Disease - a Common Fatal Heart Problem

Article Overview: Coronary artery disease is a common fatal condition. This article includes the symptoms, tests and treatment of coronary artery disease. Read Article

Coronary artery disease is characterized by blockages in the arteries, which supply blood to the heart. This, in turn, will cause nutrition and oxygen deprivement of the heart, which leads to pain and damage to the heart muscle. Heart dysfunction leads to symptoms or heart attack. When to Suspect C...  Read Article

Heart Attack: the Silent Killer in 21st Century

Article Overview: Heart diseases are extremely common in the present day given the modern lifestyle and the numerous stresses existing in the 21st century. This article enumerates the causes of heart attack, elaborates the symptoms of heart attack and deals with preventive and therapeutic strategies. Read Article

Ischemia refers to an obstruction in blood flow. Ischemic heart disease (IHD) is a spectrum that includes angina pectoris, atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction. Acute myocardial infarction, commonly known as heart attack, is a serious problem. Heart Attack - Typical Pr...  Read Article

Can my symptoms be related to multiple sclerosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an MRI with a possible indication of MS. I want to know based on the following symptoms, what type of MS it could be? A few weeks back, I had blurry vision in one eye for 20 to 30 seconds. My bladder wall is thick, and I had frequent urination problem. I consulted a urologist, and...  Read Full »