Q. Can my symptoms be related to multiple sclerosis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2021

I had an MRI with a possible indication of MS. I want to know based on the following symptoms, what type of MS it could be? A few weeks back, I had blurry vision in one eye for 20 to 30 seconds. My bladder wall is thick, and I had frequent urination problem. I consulted a urologist, and he said that I probably have a chronic prostate infection. Sexual arousal is bad from the last two months. I am sweating more, and I was diagnosed with hypertension three months back. I do not have walking or running problems. Last year, I felt fatigued for a month. I get small light headaches occasionally during the day. There is no particular flare-up that I can indicate directly. I have a tingling sensation on my legs for 10 seconds. Could any of the above be MS related?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• Although many of your symptoms can be explained by other factors, the presence of symptoms in collaboration with deep white matter changes points toward the possibility of multiple sclerosis.
  • Among the given symptoms, transient loss of vision, sexual dysfunction, hyperhidrosis (increased sweating due to autonomic control loss), fatigue, transient tingling sensation, and bladder problems can occur in multiple sclerosis.
  • Since there are no active lesions on the MRI report, the possibility of a relapsing remitting type of multiple sclerosis is high followed by a secondary progressive type of MS. This opinion is based on the assumption that you developed the disease recently and there is no permanent damage to any of the functions. In addition, I also assume that after every abnormal experience there was a complete recovery.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for the reply. My issue is that I cannot point to a particular event, and I would consider MS flare-up. I do not have any limitations from the function perspective, except the fact that I am feeling more tired. This strange behavior of my body started last year. Two years back, I was feeling good. I am just very worried and hoping that this is not a progressive relapsing MS, as it is the worst one.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

• First of all, I like to inform you that if you are not able to make out distinct episodes, then the sudden visual loss and tingling sensation should not have been experienced by you. I feel you are able to experience them, but I feel most relapses are of mild nature leading to less strong recognition at your level.
  • Regarding progressive MS, although I am unable to make an instant diagnosis, I can state with confidence that if there is no functional limitation over the last two years, it cannot be progressive MS. As the name suggests the progressive MS is characterized by progressive disability and lesions.
  • One more point I like to put here. Your geographical location prevents you from severest form of MS.

I hope this assists you further. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for the feedback. I will take your above two points into consideration. In a week, I am seeing a specialist with some more tests to be done. So, I will see what is next. Regards

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

• I am glad to know that my answer helped you to some extent, and you are seeing a specialist in your country. In case there is any other doubt related to this or any health related matter feel free to write back to me.

Wish you great health ahead. Thanks and regards.

|