Q. My 2. 5 month old kid has tongue tremors. Is this due to SMA?

Dr. Atiqur Rahman Khan

I have a 2.5-month-old who I recently noticed developed a tongue tremor. I looked up online for the causes and found them as SMA. She has great motor control, we were not doing tummy time as often because she did not like it but have increased it and have seen a big improvement. My doctor believes it is benign tongue tremor, unfortunately, we had a telehealth appointment due to COVID so he was unable to see her but he told me not to worry and to keep an eye if things get worse. I am so scared it is SMA, what else should I be looking for?

#

History noted as above, your 2.5-month-old has developed tongue tremors. Please provide me more detailed history such as preterm or full term, birth weight, normal delivery or LSCS. How is her weight? Is she gaining weight and let me know more about family history or any other in the family suffering from SMA (spinal muscular atrophy).

SMA is confirmed only by Genetic testing or by muscle study. There are many types of SMA some of them develop symptoms later in life and a few develop in early life. Keep a watch on her development like head holds muscle tone and power and let me know me know if tongue fasciculation increases and the child becomes more hypotonic.

| 
1 out of 1 likes