Q. Can brain stem tumors cause trigeminal neuralgia?

Published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I am a 27 year old female. I am healthy, and my routine blood studies are fine. But recently, I experience cramps in my left hand and occasional numbness in the left side of my face. Also one day, I felt a strong toothache on my right side, so I went to a dentist, who told me there was nothing wrong. So, I guess it was trigeminal neuralgia, but the tooth pain has gone. I still have the cramps and facial numbness, which comes and go. I went to three different physicians, and they all told me it was just stress. Today I saw a neurologist, and he told me that I have no related symptoms to any conditions, but he sent me for an MRI scan just to be safe. The point is, I am freaking out with the idea of having a malignant brain tumor, and I am panicking to get an MRI. Is there any chance that a malignant tumor shows up? I am afraid that my trigeminal neuralgia is caused by a tumor.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I would like to assure you that the none of the described symptoms in your post is indicative of brain tumor. It will not be wrong to say that what you are experiencing is a manifestation of benign disorders such as either anxiety or vitamin B12 deficiency.
  • No brain tumor causes cramps or numbness. Although it is not necessary to undergo brain MRI in your case, I think it is indicated because of irrational fears. Despite the panic attacks, the MRI will help you in coming to terms. This will also establish your faith in the medical system and you doctors, who are trying their level best to convince you about the simple causes of current problems.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for your kind and quick response. Is trigeminal neuralgia likely to be caused by malignant brain stem tumors? Because I read that, brain tumors are a possible cause of trigeminal neuralgia.

#

Thanks for reverting.

• If you ask me the factual information, I agree with you that among the various causes of trigeminal neuralgia, brain tumors are one of them. In such cases, the location of the brain tumor is at the brain stem or cerebellopontine angle, a structure which is located in the posterior part of the brain. I mean to say that what you read somewhere is correct.
  • But practically speaking, I do not think there is any evidence of trigeminal neuralgia. There are some conditions where you get pain for a short period, and it is rightly possible that the severe tooth pain experienced by you was nothing more than idiopathic pain.
  • Trigeminal neuralgia has a distinct nature of pain, and I am sure that your neurologist should have diagnosed it with simple history taking and without the use of any sophisticated investigations.
  • I also like to inform you that MRI is a very sensitive investigation, and it will help you to get a clear picture of your brain.

I hope this helps you further. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Does numbness, burning and tingling sensation on face mean trigeminal neuralgia?

Query: Hello doctor, Three and a half months ago I started with numbness, burning and tingling on the left side of my face. I had been very sick with a chest cold. One week later I had blisters on my upper left palate, I went to the doctor and she said definitely shingles. Now l never had any pain or sens...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should know that trigeminal neuralgia is a common complication of shingles or herpes infection. As blisters appeared the first time, it means that the herpes infection was present (probably HSV1 (herpes simplex virus, which is typical in this region). It is quite...  Read Full

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause depression and anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sonia Malhotra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, vitamin B12 deficiency causes severe depression. Also, thoughts like not being able to fulfil duties can induce guilt and worse depression. Please take your friend to a psychiatrist for treatment with a combination of antidepressants and cognitive behavio...  Read Full

Can chest pain result from vitamin B12 deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I have been diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency and I am taking medicines from last month. I have a slight pain in the left side of my chest and also below my chest. My ECG is normal.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chest pain can be nonspecific but, you should get evaluated if the aches and pains are all over the body or sometimes in one specific group of muscle. For more information contact a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full