Trimethoprim.

Will taking Sulfatrim DS during pregnancy harm the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 weeks pregnant, will taking Sulfatrim DS (Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim) harm my baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not recommend this Sulfatrim DS at your pregnancy age. If you have been prescribed for any infection, please tell the doctor you are pregnant and change therapy. Usually, penicillins are safe to use. Other drugs including Sulfatrim are recommended when Penicilli...  Read Full »

Can chronic constipation cause prostatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur. I do no...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopinath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you suspect the symptoms might be due to chronic prostatitis or a similar entity chronic prostatic pain syndrome. It needs a per rectal examination. Per rectal examination is not that painful as you suspect. Urine culture after a per rectal examination will turn to ...  Read Full »

What causes inflammation of the urinary meatus?

Query: Hi doctor, From the last five weeks, I have had an irritated urinary meatus opening. My urine tends to leak after I have urinated, and there is a lot of redness inside the pee hole. I have had a full STD test including HIV, and all came back negative, which was done twice. I have attached two photos...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).The opening looks normal, there is slight inflammation, but do not worry. It is good that all your blood tests and urine are clear. But, it is better to have one antibiotics course and ...  Read Full »

Is anejaculation a side effect of Silodal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have enlarged prostate and some lesion on the prostate. The report has been attached. For the past four years, I have been suffering from urinary tract infections and kidney stones and my life is very much disturbed. I am attaching the files of my reports and the medicines which I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopinath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to be examined clinically with per rectal examination. If clinical findings suggest a chronic prostatitis you need a prolonged treatment for it. Did you undergo uroflow test as suggested? It shows whether your urine flow is obstructed or not. Your PSA (prostate-...  Read Full »

Can I take Sildoo 8 for UTI and urine retention?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old suffering from UTI and urine retention. I am a father of two, height is six feet and weighing 87 kg. I was suffering from mild constipation (first poop is easy but clearing remaining used to take some time from past few months. I used to spend at least 15-20 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep P

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your elaborate history what I could make out is that you had a severe episode of acute prostatitis which was undertreated and now it is chronic prostatitis syndrome. Also, you have severe constipation. Sildoo is silodosin which is a highly potent alpha-blocker. I w...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like urinating immediately after I pass urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roug...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and treatment details. You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks. I have some questions for you. How is your urine ...  Read Full »

My culture report showed Nocardia positive. How to proceed?

Query: Hello doctor, A few weeks ago I went to the doctor with an open skin wound on my face. I was cultured as it looked like Staph infection and given antibiotics. I ended up putting raw, unfiltered honey on the wound and it cleared up in the next three days. There is only a small red scar now. The cultu...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Purohit

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Microbiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but I require some more information. What specimen you had given for culture and in how many days it came back positive? What are the antibiotics you had taken earlier? How did you get that skin wound? Revert back with the answers to the ab...  Read Full »

Please give your opinion regarding my acne prescription.

Query: Hi doctor, For the last four months, I started getting acne in the form of pustules, papules and small nodules. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but rather than improvement my acne is getting worse. She also prescribed antibiotic Sepmax-DS (800 mg) that is a combina...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should continue with Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a wonderful drug, but it takes around 40 days to show its effect. With Isotretinoin, you may even feel flare up of your acne, which is normal and it should be continued. I cannot comment upon the usefulness of Septra...  Read Full »

Would fractional laser help in removing acne scars?

Query: Hi doctor, I have mild to moderate acne. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but I am experiencing hair fall. Also, he prescribed an antibiotic Septra. I took the tablets for only two days. I am reluctant to take these drugs due to its side effect. Please suggest an alt...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not take Septra for acne (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim). Isotretinoin is not safe if you are planning a pregnancy. Otherwise, there is no risk. There are alternatives available like Minocycline and Doxycycline. I suggest a capsule Doxy 100 mg twice...  Read Full »

Shall I take Septrin forte for prostate infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have Morganella morganii infection in the prostate. For the past 15 years, I have been getting blood in semen. I had a short course of antibiotics in the past and I also had a semen microbiological test. Please recommend some antibiotics.  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For the infection in the prostate a four to six weeks course of treatment is highly recommended. I suggest Cephalosporins and Aminoglycosides are the best for initial therapy, but ideally it should be guided by culture sensitivity reports. Consult your specialist doctor,...  Read Full »