Q. Is it advisable to take Sulfatrim DS during pregnancy?

Dr. Albana Greca

I am 16 weeks pregnant, will taking Sulfatrim DS (Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim) harm my baby?

Do you have a question on Sulfamethoxazole or Pregnancy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Albana Greca

MBBS., MMEDSC
Family Physician General Practitioner

I do not recommend this Sulfatrim DS at your pregnancy age. If you have been prescribed for any infection, please tell the doctor you are pregnant and change therapy. Usually, penicillins are safe to use. Other drugs including Sulfatrim are recommended when Penicillins do not work. Discuss this with the doctor who prescribed Sulfatrim to you. All the best to you and your baby.

Why do I feel like urinating immediately after I pass urine?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old, active male. My height is 6 feet and weight is 175 lbs. Previously, I had Zoloft for anxiety. Now, I am just doing exercise, eating healthy food and vitamins. I have been diagnosed with prostatitis a few times in the past few months. I was also diagnosed with this roug...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and treatment details. You definitely had on and off history of prostatitis in the past and now you are taking Bactrim (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) since 3 to 4 weeks. I have some questions for you. How is your urine ...  Read Full

Pregnancy and Birth
Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article
Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna ...  Read Article

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.
Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>
Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now