Q. My T3 and T4 values are normal, but my TSH values is high. Why?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 18, 2019

I am a 44-year-old male with 5ft 4" in height and 69 kgs weight. My TSH (9.83) value is high, but T3 total (104.6) and T4 total (8.5) are normal. No medications are other than Uprise-D3 60 K capsule, which I take weekly. I have no particular symptoms but no weight loss in spite of very active sports and workouts daily and cholesterol borderline high in spite of a very balanced low-fat diet. My report says,

Cholesterol 201, LDL Cholesterol 135, HDL Cholesterol 42, Non-HDL Cholesterol 159.00, and Triglycerides 118.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached. In my opinion, you should get done repeat test after a month.No need to start thyroid medicines. Do regular aerobic exercise like running, cycling, swimming, or walking. I hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

What medication do I need to get?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

#

I can understand your concern. If you want to start, you can begin Thyrox (Levo-thyroxine) tablet 50 mcg once a day in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach. Get done repeat thyroid function test after a month. I hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now