Q. My TSH level is derranged after taking Thyronorm. Do I need to adjust the dosage of it?

Dr. Nasir
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2021

Before six months, I took a thyroid test. My FT3, FT4, and TSH were within range. But when I did a test this week, I had a TSH of 14.69 mIU/L and FT3 and FT4 are within range. I am taking Thyronorm 125 mcg for two and a half years. Do I need to adjust its dose for having higher TSH levels?

#

The thyroid hormone present in the blood is made of two components such as free component and bound component. A free component is usually effective. While measuring hormone levels, we need to take both free and bound forms into consideration. As your free form is normal or within range, then you do not need to be worried. Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) remains high as your bound form of hormone is low. Usually, thyroid hormones get bonded to proteins like albumin. I suggest you do tests to know your albumin level. Kindly continue taking the same dose of Thyronorm and repeat TSH after four weeks.

Do serum albumin

You seem to have hypothyroidism.

You do not require any treatment.

|