Q. I am taking 25 mcg Thyronorm and it is difficult to reduce my weight. Shall I increase the dose?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I am a 28-year-old female. My T3 is 5.8. I am obese at 76 kg with 153 cm. I take 25 mg Thyronorm tablet every day. Weight loss becomes very difficult as thyroid levels have not decreased in the past five years post-pregnancy. Can I increase my Thyronorm dosage to 100 mg?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I find you are having hypothyroidism and consulting for Thyronorm dose adjustment. Dose adjustment will be made on free T4 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels and not based on T3 levels. So, I request you to upload the full thyroid profile results then we can decide upon the dosing.

Hypothyroidism.

| 

I have attached the report of T3, T4 and TSH.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I do not find any value of T3 as 5.8 in the reports. Anyways your TSH values are within normal limits. It means your thyroid present dosing is adequate. I would advise you to continue the same Thyronorm 25 mcg dosage. There is no need for dosage alterations.

Next time when you go for testing, specifically mention free T4 (instead of total T4) and TSH levels for testing.

And I hope you know that on the day of testing, blood sample should be given in an empty stomach even before you take your daily dose of thyroid. Advising just to make sure you are doing it right. And for weight loss concentrate on other measures like diet care and exercise. See you next time when you do a follow-up test.

Hypothyroidism.

Continue Thyronorm 25 mcg daily morning empty stomach.

| 

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

Article Overview: Environmental factors, lifestyle preferences, and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity. Read Article

Dr. Omendra Pal Singh

A child is considered obese when his/her Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, exceeds 30 Kg/m2. In ayurveda, obesity has been elaborately described by using the term atisthaulya. Childhood obesity ...  Read Article

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now