Q. Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Dr. Swaraj Waddankeri
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medicine. But, in my recent serum test, total T4 level is 10.5 mcg/dL and TSH has shooted to 14.37 mIU/L. The anomaly scan shows the baby is healthy with heartbeat of 153. But, I am worried about the TSH level which could harm the baby's brain growth. Doctor has prescribed 125 mcg of Thyronorm tablet for a month. Is it must to undergo an emergency thyroid check with an endocrinologist to avoid any complications?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

• TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you. Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively.
  • Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatment.
  • I hope you are taking the medicine regularly. You ought to take the medicine on an empty stomach and should not eat or drink for one hour after the thyroid medicine.
  • TSH target in the third trimester is 0.3 to 3 mIU/L.
  • You continue taking the Thyronorm 125 mcg once daily and keep checking your TSH and FT4 (free thyroxine) once in four weeks.
  • You need to maintain the TSH in the mentioned range and be very compliant with medicines. You can see the endocrinologist with the next TSH and FT4 and the tests have to be done on an empty stomach.
  • Please tell me, when was the last TSH checked? And since how long you are taking the dose of 125 mcg?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to an endocrinologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

I got my last TSH test done 75 days ago. I am taking the dosage of 125 mcg for around 2-1/2 months. I am worried about my baby's present status. How many days will take to show variation in TSH value?

#

• It will take a minimum of four weeks to see the changes.
  • The baby's brain would have developed by this time. So, I do not find a reason to worry now.
  • Hence, relax and take the medicine regularly.
  • Your iron, calcium and thyroid medicine should be in spaces by six hours between them.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|