Q. Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Answered by Dr. Swaraj S W and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Tsh Level or Thyroid? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medicine. But, in my recent serum test, total T4 level is 10.5 mcg/dL and TSH has shooted to 14.37 mIU/L. The anomaly scan shows the baby is healthy with heartbeat of 153. But, I am worried about the TSH level which could harm the baby's brain growth. Doctor has prescribed 125 mcg of Thyronorm tablet for a month. Is it must to undergo an emergency thyroid check with an endocrinologist to avoid any complications?