Q. My TTG IgA is high. Do I have celiac disease?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

My tissue transglutaminase IgA are high but I have not done any biopsy but done only an endoscopy (normal). If my TTG IgA is high then I must be having celiac disease because this level only goes high with celiac disease, am I right? Then why do I need to go for biopsy as it is a painful procedure?

#

It is useful for comparison of severity of bowel involvement in raised antibody status.

Raised IgA TTG level grade according to Marsh classification if your antibody level less on Marsh stage you may need a biopsy.

If the patient is suffering from hypoglobulinemia present with less IgA level may present even though positive results but severity of bowel involvement is high. So, in that case, we need confirmation.

I think I answered your question. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|