Q. My TTG IgA is high. Do I have celiac disease?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

My tissue transglutaminase IgA are high but I have not done any biopsy but done only an endoscopy (normal). If my TTG IgA is high then I must be having celiac disease because this level only goes high with celiac disease, am I right? Then why do I need to go for biopsy as it is a painful procedure?

#

It is useful for comparison of severity of bowel involvement in raised antibody status.

Raised IgA TTG level grade according to Marsh classification if your antibody level less on Marsh stage you may need a biopsy.

If the patient is suffering from hypoglobulinemia present with less IgA level may present even though positive results but severity of bowel involvement is high. So, in that case, we need confirmation.

I think I answered your question. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Why do I have persistently high Hb and HCT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have a history of celiac disease and a past medical history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a stage 2 cervical lymph node and tumors in my chest. I had a blood test last week which showed B12 and folic acid deficiency, raised hemoglobin of 161 and raised hematocrit of ...  Read Full »

What can cause the stool to float and change color?

Query: Hello doctor, About 18 months ago, my stomach distended, and my stool turned from brown to light brown and eventually yellow. After that, I started to lose weight at a rapid rate, 40 lbs in 15 months. I was given multiple blood tests, an upper endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasounds. The only thing of...  Read Full »

How to increase stamina in my child?

Query: Hello doctor, What is wrong with a junior school child who has diarrhea and either stopped drinking or is unable to. He has eyesight weakness and now wears glasses. He worries a lot and despite a good appetite does not put on weight. Has difficulty in reading and writing. He has no power, strength ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»