Q. My mother is having low-grade fever for two months with drastic weight loss. Kindly advise.

My mom aged 45 years, is having a fever for almost two months. The temperature used to vary from 99-100 degrees Celcius in the night times and gradually it comes down. She was weighing 105 kg and now she is 88 kg. Now, she is having bone pain and light fever in the night when there is a pain in the bone. She has been advised with calcium and iron tablets. She is also getting her regular periods. Menopause has not reached yet. Kindly advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The fact that she has been having fever off and on for the last two months and is a low-grade fever especially in evenings with accompanied weight loss and bone pains indicates a possibility of tuberculosis infection. It is better to get her Mantoux test and ADA (adenosine deaminase) levels done to rule out the same. As she has been in a colder country the possibility is unlikely, if she has been staying with you for more than six months or if she has recently visited you two months back then there is all possibility of her having contracted the infection from India and she carried it with her. Keep her well hydrated in the meantime and start multivitamin tablets daily to increase the appetite which may have also suffered a loss for last two months now.

Please follow up with the reports.

| 

Is my weight loss due to hepatitis B?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I would like to describe the series of events to you and need your advice as I have been most disturbed post this event in my life. It has been eight months since my first ever sexual encounter, but I am still tensed and lost. I am too scared to get a blood tes...  Read Full »

Can I get a filling fixed while running a low-grade fever from a UTI?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I get a filling fixed while running a low-grade fever from a UTI?  Read Full »

14-year-old has low back ache, fatigue and mild fever. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My 14-year-old son is complaining of a low backache. He has fatigue and low-grade fever. Hemoglobin is 12.7 but ESR level is 43.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now