Q. A 67-year-old osteoporotic female has wrist swelling. Is it tuberculosis?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Nov 07, 2017

My mother who is 67 years old is an osteoporosis patient. She has been recently operated for carpal tunnel in the left hand. A few months back, she had developed an ankle effusion which subsided after starting osteoporosis injections. She is on Gemtide and calcium. Recently, she has developed swelling in the right wrist with pain and stiffness. She had an ultrasound and an X-ray as advised by her doctor. The ultrasound report is attached herewith. The X-ray suggests osteopenia. Does the ultrasound report suggest she has tuberculosis? Please advise as to what should be done. 

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I went through your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• An ultrasound cannot diagnose whether she has tuberculosis or not. This requires an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan and also a needle biopsy under ultrasound guidance which needs histopathologic examination.
  • A thickened synovium can be an infection or just an inflammation which cannot be differentiated by ultrasound alone.
  • Injection Gemtide (Teriparatide) is good for her osteoporosis and is a correct drug.
  • I suggest you get an MRI scan done first and upload the reports and then we will decide whether a needle biopsy is needed or not.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report and image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have multiple small nodules in both the lungs. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent a comprehensive health checkup recently and it revealed multiple small nodules in both my lungs from the high resolution CT scan. Presently, I have sporadic recurring breathlessness during late evenings. Now, I am taking osteopenia medication, calcium and calcinase nasal spra...  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now