Q. Kindly advise me if my test is suggestive of TB infection.

Dr. Rohit Jain
Published on Feb 11, 2017

During fitness examination I got know that I have bilateral apical pleural thickening in the chest x-ray, but neither in the past or current, I have any health complaints. So, the further investigation I did was PPD skin test and QuantiFERON TB gold test, which is positive 20 mm and 3.42 IU respectively. Kindly advised me if that is suggestive of TB infection. Do I need take anti-tubercular medicine? I am working right now in abroad. Can I prevent this from becoming active?

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiology Critical Care Physician Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Sexology
#

I have gone through your case, and I am of the following opinion.

• Your blood test and skin test are surely positive and are indicative of active tuberculosis. Your x-ray shows minimal pleural thickening, which shows past lesions.
  • Now the issue is that you might have had subclinical TB in the past, which you did not come to know. Also, the skin and blood test does not tell you that you have TB of lungs. You might have TB somewhere else, which we are missing on x-ray.
  • You should get a CT chest or a bronchoscopic biopsy to find out if there is TB of the lungs. Then, get an ultrasound of abdomen done to look for intestinal TB. Since QuantiFERON is positive, we cannot simply neglect it. It might be false, but still, we need to investigate.
  • Medicines will be needed once we find out if there is an active lesion.

For further information consult a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Why do I feel like water and liquid food get diffused outside my digestive tract?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel irritation and pain in the abdomen, particularly below my right rib cage for almost two years now. I feel like water and liquid food gets diffused outside the digestive tract, into the outer parts and skin. It causes allergic irritation, inflammation, discomfort, and pain in th...  Read Full »

How long should I take treatment to dissolve a tuberculosis lump?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small lump on the right side of my neck near the cervical area. I have been having this for the last one month. Although I am on treatment, the lump has not gone. The doctor took out the pus from the infected area, and the laboratory reports confirmed it as tuberculosis. In that...  Read Full »

I am on Doxycycline. Will it affect my sputum report accuracy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old female. I am getting on and off cough. I have lost 5 kg in the last two years. My CT shows atypical changes and QuantiFERON TB test shows positive with a reading of 0.38. I am waiting to get my sputum test result. I am currently on Doxycycline 100 mg per day and this i...  Read Full »