Q. I have tuberculosis with fever, night sweats, chest pain, etc. What should I do?

Dr. S D Sinha
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2020
I recently had a blood test that came back positive for Tuberculosis. Since than I have had trouble booking an appointment with a specialist, and was wondering if I should go the hospital? I have symptoms that include: Fever, chills, night sweats, tiny amount of blood in my spit which didn’t last, sharp chest pain 1-3 times a day that’s followed by my chest bones cracking when I stretch, tight throat, and feeling like I’m not getting enough breath but only 1-2 times a day for minutes at a time.
#

Thanks for your query. It's recommended that you visit hospital and get further testing and treatment done. I am not sure how you got tuberculosis but there is a definite treatment, standardised worldwide.

Directly observed treatment, short-course (DOTS, also known as TB-DOTS) is the name given to the tuberculosis (TB) control strategy recommended by the World Health Organization.

A standard DOTS regimen is likely to be a combination of 4 drugs for 8 weeks followed by a combinatipn of 3 drugs for 4 months. There are other regimens, which are variations.

The DOTS treatment need to be done under supervision of a designated health care professional so that no patient missed doses. However, none of these are started unless evaluation tests are done to understand the presence, severity, resistance patterns of the disease.

This woud be preferable in a designated centre for TB treatment in your areas.

I am not sure if specialists can undertake this treatment in your area. If they do, they are likely to be following similar pattern of diagnosis and treatment.

| 

I am on ATT and having pain. How to get rid of it?

Query: Hello doctor,I have tubercular arthritis in my right hip. I am in the army, and hence, it is mandatory to be physically and mentally fit. Presently I am on ATT for the last eight months, which showed some improvement, but it also has some cartilage damage and synovial thickening, which is causing pa...  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»