Q. The doctor has a hard time explaining these tumor marker test results. Can you?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was just curious what your translation of this might be. I am copying this information directly from a printout of medical records which I can upload if necessary. This is the tumor marker test results of a 70 year old white male.

Reports from three years ago:

• CEA 1.4 ng/mL
  • AFP-tumor marker 26164.3 ng/mL

Reports from yesterday:

• BUN 13 mg/dL.
  • Creat 0.90 mg/dL.
  • CA 9.3 mg/dL.
  • TP 7.9 g/dL.
  • Alb 3.4 g/dL - Low
  • Alk Phos 66 U/L
  • AST (SGOT) 39 U/L
  • ALT (SGPT) 33 U/L
  • Total Bili 0.5 mg/dL
  • Gap 5 --- LOW
  • Est GFR >60 mL/min
  • AA-GFR >60 mL/min
  • BUN/Creat Ratio 14.4
  • Osmo,Calc 274 mOsm/kg
  • Glob 4.5 g/dL
  • AFP Tumor Marker 18.9 ng/mL - high 
  • HCV RNA IU/mL Pending
  • HCV RNA log IU/mL Pending

#

I went through your post and investigations.

• AFP means alfa-fetoprotein. It is elevated commonly in three conditions which are:
  1. Liver cell carcinoma.
  2. Hepatitis. 
  3. Germ cell tumors.
  • You have reported two different levels, one is 18 and the other is more than 26 thousand. So, you have to give me some history about what your problem is for which you have consulted a doctor and why this test was done.
  •  Also, if you have done an ultrasonogram of the abdomen, kindly upload that for coming to a conclusion about the reason for the raised AFP.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The doctors told him he had multiple cancers and hepatitis after the earlier tests and told him to get his affairs together and move into a hospice to die. He then started a home treatment of something called 'The Budwig Diet' which is a combination of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. Then he got the results yesterday (which I also attached previously). What do yesterday's results show? Why would his doctor have a hard time explaining the results? They are saying they need more time to investigate and have even sent a nurse to the health food store where he gets 'The Budwig Diet' from, to ask questions about what he was being given. I guess what I am asking is, are the new results showing a considerable improvement or decline, or possibly a medical device malfunction or needing calibration? I am really just grasping at straws, and wondering if you have seen something like this before.

#

• I am really surprised to see the results. I was of the opinion that he was having a germ cell cancer or liver cell cancer. He has almost no disease today as reported by the tests. It looks like a miracle which doctors generally do not believe in.
  • It possibly was hepatitis, which has resolved spontaneously because neither liver cancer nor germ cell cancer can survive three years without treatment.
  • However, I would suggest a CT scan of the body and a repeat AFP test before getting too excited.

It seems to me he is a lucky guy who has been touched by God. Regards.

|