Q. In case of ovarian cyst, will they remove the entire ovary?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

A few months ago, I had an ultrasound for some cyst pain. A small growth was discovered on my ovary along with a large cyst as you can see from the documentation attached to this question. I am trying to do everything I can to avoid losing this ovary. My question is, after reviewing the attached diagnosis and documentation, is there any way to do a biopsy on the growth without performing a surgical laparoscopy and damaging the ovary? If it is not cancer, then I do not want to get it taken out.

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It looks like the right ovary is having a complex ovarian cyst. It could be malignant also (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Please get alpha-fetoprotein AFP, HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and CEA carcinoembryonic antigen.

Depending upon the diagnosis you should plan surgery and it will be with frozen section of the mass to rule out malignancy. So that, extra precautions to prevent recurrence and avoiding spread to other ovary.

Ideally you should remove mass surgically without damaging surrounding ovarian tissue with laparoscopic expert. No need to remove the entire ovary.

Unfortunately, you may need chemotherapy if mass is malignant. Please go for egg freezing before planning for chemotherapy.

As you are young, depending upon severity of the situation you can think for egg freezing after surgery.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

According to you, does the mass look like ovarian cancer?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Please get a color Doppler done to see the exact flow, as present scan is showing the impaired flow.
  • Also, they have not mentioned whether it is twisted or not (torsion).

| 

When I got the test done, they told me that it was not a torsion. I have attached all my color Doppler photos. Does this give any indication on whether it looks like ovarian cancer in your opinion? I have also included a few pictures of my left ovary. Does it look normal? I just want to make sure that I have something that works.

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Left ovary looks fine and no growth were affected (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Right ovary has complex mass without vascularity means mostly it is a benign mass. It could be a complex ovarian cyst.
  • Ideally, histopathology report and intraoperative finding on laparoscopy will give you the best and confirmatory diagnosis.

| 

I am glad to hear that my left ovary is still looking functional. So, the only way to get a biopsy is through a laparoscopic procedure. Am I correct?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, laparoscopic biopsy is definitive and confirmatory for diagnosis.
  • Tumor markers and color Doppler can guide for diagnosis with 80% to 90% sensitivity.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Could you help with my terrible periods pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I usually have quite regular periods, but every month I get absolutely terrible pains to the point I am sick and shaking. I have tried taking the contraceptive pill to help my periods, but it made them worse. So, I stopped. It is not just a cramp. A really bad sickness ...  Read Full »

Please describe the test reports of a liver disease.

Query: Hello doctor,My father has a liver disease. I need the description of the report and the stage of the disease.  Read Full »