Acute Labyrinthitis

How to get rid of dizziness, clogged ears, and warm face?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a suspected ear infection for nearly four weeks now. I am currently experiencing dizziness and a warm face for the past four weeks. I have been using Gentamicin ear drops for the last two weeks, but my symptoms have not improved. I am fatigued all the time, an...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you shown it to an ENT specialist? Do you have any ear discharge, or fever, or reduced hearing? Can you describe the giddiness? Is it always present? Is it an imbalance or spinning sensation? How long does it last?  Read Full »

Why is my hearing in the left ear affected?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, ...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days. As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic. Now, you have to consult your ...  Read Full »

What causes vestibular dizziness and vestibular migraine in an individual?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female, and I do not have any pre-existing conditions. I take multivitamin tablets, fish oil supplement, and spirulina. I underwent a deviated nasal septum surgery two years back, and I lost a lot of blood during the surgery. Right after I woke up from sedation, I f...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry to hear about your health problems. You had done CT (computed tomography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan, and cardiac workup. All are normal as per history. So it is a good sign in terms of no organic lesion present in the brain. You have taken supp...  Read Full »

Why i am hearing some swishing noise in my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, I have this insane swishing noise every time I move my head or eyes. I feel like I am going to pass out. Even opening some doors does it, if they create pressure from pulling.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the movement is worsening the symptoms, it must be an inner ear problem. There could be additionally middle ear block or eustachian tube block as the pressure change worsening it. However, since you have not mentioned the duration, I am mentioning all possib...  Read Full »

Is lightheadedness related to neuro, heart or sinus issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently felt lightheadedness for about a week. I went to the ER and they could not find anything wrong. They did all neuro testing and I passed. Blood work and urine are perfect. Blood sugar and blood pressure were perfect. Ekg came back perfect, no stomach issues. I do not fee...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclliniq.com. Probably you have an issue with your ear that may cause a block in the eustachian tube due to allergy or infection leading to vertigo. Other possibilities like acute labyrinthitis or vestibular neuronitis may cause your symptoms. Avoid smoking and caffeine drinks, ...  Read Full »

What could this room spinning sensation be?

Query: Hello doctor,My problems are headaches and dizziness. When I woke up this morning, my head was aching and when I stood up, I felt the room turning around. I could not stand for a long time. I have a previous history of vertigo and migraine. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have mentioned, most probably you have vertigo which may be due to many causes like: Inflammation of the labyrinth (inside of the ear) Positional vertigo with certain movement. Meniere disease which is associated with increased pressure i...  Read Full »

I have had tympanoplasty on both ears. Does either ear appear infected?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dizziness and fainting-like sensations along with intense itching in both the ears. I had my husband help me take photos with our otoscope I purchased online. The pictures with redness on them are my right ear, and the pictures without the redness and the yellow tube are my...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are likely to have an acute labyrinthitis with acute inflammation of your right ear. If you had such attacks previously, then an examination and investigations of your concerned ear is a must to finalize the diagnosis for a proper mana...  Read Full »

I swallowed a lot of water at the swimming pool and now feel sick. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I was swimming in a pool that had salt water in it. I went underwater and accidentally swallowed the salt water. It burned my nose and my throat. I woke up today dizzy and my throat kills and my nose still does. I keep coughing up mucus. I also keep sneezing. What should I d...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hello,Welcome in icliniq.com.I understand your concern. You are likely to have an acute upper respiratory tract infection, and associated labyrinthitis as you have vertigo. Now, you are advised to take: Tablet Paracetamol. Tablet Betahistine 16 mg thrice daily. Steam inhalation. Antihist...  Read Full »

My mother has episodes of dizziness when she sits down or stands up. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, This question is regarding my mother, who is 57 years old. She is getting episodes of dizziness from the last one and a half or two years. Most of the time, they are mild, and they occur for few seconds when she gets up or sits down. Sometimes, they stay long and are associated with n...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not something to worry about. Her symptoms and response to Vertin (Betahistine), although incomplete, suggests that these are originating from the internal ear, which is the most common cause of dizziness in old age. This occurs due to age-related changes lea...  Read Full »

Do you think high pitch sound through headphones will damage ears?

Query: Hi doctor,I have sensitive hearing. Otherwise, I feel great and use hearing plugs when necessary. I fear that hard and high pitch sounds will destroy my ears. Today, when I was about to do a home hearing test on my mobile, and accidentally the volume was at its loudest settings. The first tone that ...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are suffering from hyperacusis (increased sensitivity to sound). This is observed in the following conditions: Labyrinthitis (infections of Labyrinth). Early stages of degenerative changes in cochlear. Palsy of stapedius muscle. Tumors of t...  Read Full »