Q. I am having hearing problem only in the left ear. Why?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, I am not able to hear and the same situation continues till now. Will it lead to permanent hearing loss? Do you have any suggestion of what could be done? I am 28 years old and the problem is only with my left ear. Audiometry is also done where the right ear is fine and 50% reduction in the left ear compared to right. Currently, the doctor is advising some medicines for vitamin improvements. Please help.

#

I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days.

• As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic.
  • Now, you have to consult your ENT specialist for thorough examination and necessary investigation apart from audiometry and CT scan like impedance audiometry for diagnosis of eustachian tube function, middle ear status and stapedial reflexes and lipid profile.
  • In this way one may find out the pathology behind your hearing loss and accordingly that may be managed.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|