Q. My mother's sugar level is not decreasing inspite of using medicines. Kindly suggest other medications?

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My mother has diabetics type 2. Currently, she is using Metformin 500 mg two times a day with Glibenclamide. The problem is it is not dropping as before. Can you please help with other medications or tablets?

Do you have a question on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus or Metformin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali

POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN DIABETES
Diabetology

Your mother needs some different medications, Glimepiride 3 mg before breakfast, Sitagliptin Metformin combination of 50/850 twice daily after meals. Decrease fats in her diet, avoid fast food. Increase physical activity if possible. Sugary things should be avoided altogether. Report me after one week.

Also Read Answers From: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Metformin Glimepiride

Can I substitute Amaryl tablet with Kombiglyze tablet?
Query: Hello doctor, I am currently on Amaryl 2 mg. As I will be traveling shortly, to a country where I am told Amaryl is not available, but Kombiglyze is available there. Is it okay to take this substitute?  Read Full >>
Dr. Sreejith Mg
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Amaryl has Metformin 500 mg and Glimepiride 2 mg and Kombiglyze contains Metformin and Saxagliptin. Both combinations are different, so the level of sugar control will be different. Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea and Saxagliptin is a DPP4 (Dipeptidyl peptidase 4) inhibitor...  Read Full

How to handle premature ejaculation?
Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I ejaculate within 20 seconds of penetration. Is it curable? Suggest me some medicines for the same.  Read Full >>
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Premature ejaculation is a common condition which affects men. If you are perfectly healthy without any medical conditions such as type-2 diabetes mellitus or hypertension, you can easily overcome your problem. Mostly, it is due to anxiety. I advise you to get r...  Read Full

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?
Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. No, it is not advisable to eat carbohydrate and sugar for at least 60 minutes after taking a growth hormone shot. The more carbohydrate you consume, the higher your blood sugar will raise, which then set off insulin production. Insulin and ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now