Q. What type of diet has to be followed in type 2 diabetes?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Mar 29, 2016

I have type 2 diabetes. I am 29 years old. My height is 5'7" and weight is 58 kg. 34 days back I gave blood tests. My fasting blood sugar was 313, postprandial 599, HbA1c-14.9, T3 109.6, T4-12.30, vitamin D-6.2 and TSH-2.29. After five days, I consulted a doctor and he gave me medicines and asked me to get back for a checkup after having them. The medicines he suggested were Cobadex-CZS, Isryl M1, Glyciphage SR 500 mg and Teneligliptin tablets 20 mg. Then again three days later my fasting blood sugar  89, postprandial 195, lipid profile - total cholesterol 186, triglycerides 252, HDL cholesterol 46, LDL cholesterol 90, cholesterol/HDL ratio 4, VLDL cholesterol 50 and total lipids 624. Then I took these medicines and took a test again after 17 days. The result was blood sugar fasting 100.30 and postprandial 136.20. Now, I stopped medicines. Please advise me what should I do? How do I increase my weight without affecting my diabetes? What type of diet should I take? Please guide.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• First of all, I am surprised why have you stopped taking medicines? Medication does not cure diabetes; they control it and hence do keep continuing medications.

Coming to your diabetic diet:

1. You need to eat food in small quantities, but frequently.
  2. Avoid sweets and carbonated drinks.
  3. Eat more of vegetables, except potato.
  4. Avoid all fruit juices and avoid fruits like grapes, watermelon and sapodilla.
  5. Avoid junk food like chips, pizza and burgers.
  • You can use diabetic protein powder like Resource D two teaspoons, mix it in a glass of milk and take it twice a day.
  • Do daily exercises like jogging, running, treadmill and cycling for 20 to 30 minutes a day.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

How to handle premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I ejaculate within 20 seconds of penetration. Is it curable? Suggest me some medicines for the same.  Read Full »

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now