Q. What type of diet has to be followed in type 2 diabetes?

Answered by Dr. Divakara P and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus or Diet Chart? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have type 2 diabetes. I am 29 years old. My height is 5'7" and weight is 58 kg. 34 days back I gave blood tests. My fasting blood sugar was 313, postprandial 599, HbA1c-14.9, T3 109.6, T4-12.30, vitamin D-6.2 and TSH-2.29. After five days, I consulted a doctor and he gave me medicines and asked me to get back for a checkup after having them. The medicines he suggested were Cobadex-CZS, Isryl M1, Glyciphage SR 500 mg and Teneligliptin tablets 20 mg. Then again three days later my fasting blood sugar  89, postprandial 195, lipid profile - total cholesterol 186, triglycerides 252, HDL cholesterol 46, LDL cholesterol 90, cholesterol/HDL ratio 4, VLDL cholesterol 50 and total lipids 624. Then I took these medicines and took a test again after 17 days. The result was blood sugar fasting 100.30 and postprandial 136.20. Now, I stopped medicines. Please advise me what should I do? How do I increase my weight without affecting my diabetes? What type of diet should I take? Please guide.