Widal Test

Widal test is a rapid serological test used for diagnosing typhoid fever. Typhoid is a life-threatening condition caused by Salmonella Typhi, which spreads through contaminated food and water. Widal test is a rapid test used in endemic areas, is handy when culture facilities are not available. It utilizes antigen-antibody interactions to detect specific antibodies in the blood sample of typhoid patients. It identifies specific IgM (immunoglobulin M) and IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies against bacteria. IgM indicates a recent infection, and IgG indicates a remote infection.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What is the reason for fever during the recovery phase of dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 5 year old son, who is 16.5 kg. He is suffering from dengue since one week, and his platelets count dropped to 62,000. The platelet count increased to 83,000, but the next day, he got a fever of 99.9 F. Why is he getting fever during the recovery phase of dengue? Please advice...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of fever could be low-grade SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) in the recovery phase of dengue. Usually, fever lasts for 7 to 8 days, and the platelet starts to rise after day five. There are other causes as well, for example, co-infection ...  Read Full »

Can Ceftum 500 be continued in raised typhoid fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from fever for past 11 days. On the first day, we got a Widal test done. It showed 1:40 S.typhi, but having a fever 103 to 104 degree Fahrenheit. Just three days back we confirmed 1:180 in Widal test. The doctor has advised Ceftum 500 mg twice daily. Now she is having...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Typhoid should be treated with antibiotics for 14 days must. Otherwise, the bacteria remain in the gallbladder and cause recurrent infection. Now, if you feel that symptoms are not improving, she might require injectable antibiotics. It is better to get intravenous anti...  Read Full »

What does a positive typhoid IgG/IgM test and a negative Widal test mean?

Query: Hello doctor, What does a positive typhoid IgG/IgM test and a negative widal test mean? My typhoid IgG and IgM were positive, but the widal test was T.O-1:20 and T.H-1:20. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. To understand this, you will need a basic understanding of typhoid antibodies. Typhoid antibodies detection tests are of two types: One is quantitative, which detects the amount of IgG and IgM antibodies, and the other one is widal which de...  Read Full »

My platelet count is decreasing, but dengue and malaria are negative. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a high-grade fever for the past six days. I checked for Widal test which was positive initially. My platelet counts were at 2.2 lakhs and now it is on a decreasing trend at 1.4 now. Also, the leucocyte count went from 7700 to 2400. Dengue and malaria test are negative. Kindly su...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can continue the same treatment. If the temperature does not come down in one or two days, we will go for further tests. Do not worry about platelets. It may go down in other diseases also. Since you are in the hospital, they will be checking your CBC (comple...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with typhoid and my fever is not coming down in spite of taking antibiotics. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with typhoid after undergoing a Widal test. I have been suffering from fever for the past ten days. The doctor advised tablet Cefoperazone and Sulbactam injections for four days still, fever is not reducing. Then, I went to another doctor, where the tests were repeated. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, you are suffering from typhoid and UTI (urinary tract infection). The best way to deal with it is to take the antibiotics for seven days. Since the antibiotics you took were for a short period, you do not have any resolution in your symptoms ...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for excessive sweating and light headache?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 27-year-old male. I have been having light headaches, weakness, excessive sweating, and internal heat for a month now. I went to do a Widal test and my result was typhi 160++. I was given a pill at the hospital called Ciprobay which I completed the dosage but I am still feeling t...  Read Full »

Dr. Patil Pratik Pramod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Typhoid infection takes 14 days to resolve. Please take the full dose of drugs and do not leave it incomplete. I suggest you take tablet Ceftum (Cefuroxime) 500 mg twice a day for three days and tablet Azee (Azithromycin) 500 mg once a day for three days and tablet ...  Read Full »

I have had typhoid for a month; please suggest an antibiotic that would work best.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male patient. I have been¬†suffering from typhoid for the past one month. After getting my pathology report, the doctor advised me to take one week medication of tablet Cefuroxime 500 mg twice a day. Before this, I had Azithromycin 500 mg. Is the advice given by doctor ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly tell me some more details about your illness. You were saying that you have suffered from this illness since 1 month. What does it mean? Do you have fever continuousl...  Read Full »

How to prevent the recurrence of typhoid fever?

Query: Hello doctor, I had typhoid fever two years back, and my TLC count also increased around 13000 per microliter. Last year I faced the same problem. I am living abroad, that is why I cannot do my treatment properly. This year also I feel the same. Now almost four days passed, and I feel feverish eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Typhoid fever can become a chronic ailment and cause recurrences. However, it does not mean you are having typhoid fever again. Please let me know what treatment you received last time so that we could personalize treatment for you. You need to do certain tests: 1. W...  Read Full »

Kindly go through my Widal report and suggest the reason for my fever.

Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from fever for the past two days. My Widal report says S. Typhi O antigen 1:40, S. Typhi H antigen 1:40 and S. paratyphoid A. I am only taking tablets to control my temperature. Please explain the report.  Read Full »

Dr. Kulkarni Rahul Suresh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depending upon your Widal test report, it is hard to pinpoint the diagnosis of fever to be of enteric origin (typhoid). You need to document rising Widal titers to be sure of that diagnosis and that too after a week of fever. To establish the diagnosis of typhoid fever at...  Read Full »

When is the Widal test false positive?

Query: Hi doctor, Five months back, I was abroad. When I was abroad, my friend had COVID-19. I was scared about that, and then I came back home a few days after. I was in a small town and consulted a doctor. They told me to do a blood test for typhoid, and then they said the test is positive and gave me m...  Read Full »

Dr. J N Naidu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com You should be careful about your health, but there is no need to be scared about it. I believe that you never had typhoid, and it could be misdiagnosed by the Widal test, which gives false positives frequently. Jaundice is possible if you drink contaminated water. I a...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.