Widal Test

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

After how many days of typhoid treatment should I repeat my Widal test?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 20 days, I was typhoid positive. Then, I had Monocef 1 g injection once a day for seven days and then I had Zanocin 400 mg tablet once a day for seven days. Now, I am on Paraxin 500 three times a day and still I have some headache. My current Widal test report is as follows. Typh...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Widal test in typhoid remains positive for up to a month and so there is no need to repeat it as you will get it positive even if typhoid is cured. We say that typhoid is cured when there is no fever for three consecutive days. There is no n...  Read Full »

How can typhoid be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 70 years old and was diagnosed with typhoid and was given Ceftas 200 TDS for 21 days and Argex 500 OD for seven days. The Widal test showed typhi O: 1:160, typhi H: 1:160, typhi AH: 1:80 and typhi BH: 1:40 after 10 days of treatment. The treatment was continued as above and...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess, she is not having a fever now. If fever has settled down then it means all bacterias are killed. These test may remain positive for some time or may be lifelong, so, not to chase the reports. Weakness will be there for few weeks. She should have a healthy di...  Read Full »

Despite taking medicines for stomach pain, I did not get any relief. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having stomach pain from about one and a half months. The pain generally begins after lunch or dinner and may last for one to four hours. It is episodic in nature and increases in severity, and then gradually goes away. The pain occurs in the lower left region near the navel. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your treating doctor has evaluated you for all possible causes of the pain. And the prescription now you are using is an empirical therapy. If the pain still persists the next level of work u...  Read Full »

I have positive Widal test and high eosinophil count. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a positive Widal test and liver function test showed a high eosinophil count. Anything eaten gets vomited out, intense weakness and fatigue. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You are having typhoid infection of the gastrointestinal tract. For that, it is advisable to take soft and bland diet more like banana, mashed potato, khichadi, etc. Avoid heavy fatty food intake. Take fruit juices more. You should take 7 to 10 days course of antibiotics to...  Read Full »

Can I give Cefpodoxime to my son who is suffering from fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an 8-year-old son who is suffering from fever for the past three days. We have not taken him to the doctor. We have not done any tests. But we believe that it is an enteric fever. So I brought Cefpodoxime for him. My concern is to know the exact dose of it. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a parent, I am sure you have to do the best for your son. It is not right to give antibiotics to him without proper guidance. If it is not a confirmed case of enteric fever, it can also be a simple viral fever which may not even need antibiotics. Sometimes, urinary t...  Read Full »

Can Ceftum 500 be continued in raised typhoid fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from fever for past 11 days. On the first day, we got a Widal test done. It showed 1:40 S.typhi, but having a fever 103-104 degree Fahrenheit. Just three days back we confirmed 1:180 in Widal test. The doctor has advised Ceftum 500 mg bd. Now she is having fever of r...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Typhoid should be treated with antibiotics for 14 days must. Otherwise, the bacteria remain in the gallbladder and cause recurrent infection. Now, if you feel that symptoms are not improving, she might require injectable antibiotics. It is better to get intravenous ant...  Read Full »

My platelet count is decreasing, but dengue and malaria are negative. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a high-grade fever for the past six days. I checked for Widal test which was positive initially. My platelet counts were at 2.2 lakhs and now it is on a decreasing trend at 1.4 now. Also, the leucocyte count went from 7700 to 2400. Dengue and malaria test are negative...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can continue the same treatment. If the temperature does not come down in one or two days, we will go for further tests. Do not worry about platelets. It may go down in other diseases also. Since you are in the hospital, they will be checking your CBC (complete ...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for excessive sweating and light headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old male. I have been having light headache, weakness, excessive sweating, and internal heat for a month now. I went to do a Widal test and my result was typhi 160++. I was given a pill at the hospital called Ciprobay which I completed the dosage but I am still feeling t...  Read Full »

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Typhoid infection takes 14 days to resolve. Please take full doses of drugs and do not leave it incomplete.  I suggest you take tablet Ceftum (Cefuroxime) 500 mg twice a day for three days and tablet Azee (Azithromycin) 500 mg once a day for three days and tablet Pac...  Read Full »

Which antibiotic will be effective for typhoid fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male patient. I have been suffering from typhoid for the past one month. After getting my pathology report, the doctor advised me to take one week medication of tablet Cefuroxime 500 mg twice a day. Before this, I had Azithromycin 500 mg. Is the advice given by doctor ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly tell me some more details about your illness. You were saying that you have suffered from this illness since 1 month. What does it mean? Do you have fever continuously fo...  Read Full »